1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other A "sketchup" software

Discussion in 'Software' started by mecblade, 1 Sep 2010.

1. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

ive been quite interested in designing a case during te recent months but ive yet to find a sketchup program which is useful. Ive tried Google's but it doesnt quite cut the cake for me. Can anyone with experience in sketching up stuff like this (Im looking at you scratch build modders! :) ) recommend me a nice program? thanks in advance

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I know I have been saying it for a couple of years now, but I really am designing something.

I use AutoCAD 2008 to make the parts, because I find it easy to rotate and move parts as you want:
    [​IMG]

When I need to make a render, simulate airflow or make detailed fabrication-drawings I use SolidWorks 2009:
    [​IMG]

It took me 2 weeks to learn the things I use in AutoCAD, and a little longer to use SolidWorks.

3. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

pro engineer cant get much better than that (not sure how you would get hold of it though)

4. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

All of the above suggestions are good not sure where you would get a copy of any of them for a reasonable price.
    I use UG NX at work but would recommend Soliworks as it is simple to use and probably easier to pick up than NX.

Solidworks effort.
    [​IMG]

Solidworks drawing
    [​IMG]

5. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I wouldn't mind trying a program like this, but I need one that is very user-friendly and extremely UNtechnical, as I haven't the faintest about CAD.

6. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Solidworks is fairly simple to get the basics of.
    It is sketch based so like SketchUp you just draw a shape and extrude, rotate or follow a path.
    You can also model from primitives as well, which means throwing in a shape and sculpting it essentially.
    The assembly mate conditions are also relatively easy to pick up too if you are brave enough to try assemblies.
    I am sure with a few tutorials any computer savy person could pick up the basics in no time.
    :thumb:

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Trouble with Solidworks is the cost - unless you're a student...

8. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Yep that is why I said I didn't know where you would get such a package at a reasonable price.
    It can be found very cheap but I would not condone that.

I don't know whether FreeCAD is worth keeping an eye on and trying.

I tried it briefly and it shows some promise.