1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good software

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Jay88018, 8 Sep 2012.

1. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

Hello all, hoping to get some advice. Im currently waiting on some parts then ill get to finish my new build, until then......i have a m8 who is into his oc'ing....i want to have a chance to beat him. I think iv ordered some good parts ( will post pics once iv got it finished ), so now its software. Iv downloaded some stuff i think will help, but i know other people will have experiance with other stuff, can never have enough knowlage

3dmark11
    cinebench
    prime95
    pcmark7

Is there any other programs that people could recommend...ie benchmarking or stress testing ? I know i probably wont be able to get a higher CPU clock ( he has 5.3ghz from a i7 2600k ) but im hoping for a stronger system score...if that makes sence ?!?

There will be further threads on getting help for learning how to fold, but 1 step at a time :)

Thank you for any input.

2. kirk46

kirk46 Cheesecake Nom Nom

i only use Prime 95 for stress testing... the CPU

the others aren't really relevant

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Beating 5.3Ghz will take a golden chip and some serious cooling power if you want to fold with it.

As far as CPU testing goes, just use Prime95 and Intel Burn Test.

For GPU, use Furmark.

4. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

Unigene Heaven and/or Furmark to stress GPU. Some cards actively discriminate against Furmark.

IntelBurnTest for quick test of CPU stability.

Otherwise what you have listed will do the job - I assume you just want numbers bigger than your mate's.

5. Jay88018

Jay88018 What's a Dremel?

I know i prob won't be able to get a higher freq then him, but im hoping to at least hit 4.5 - 4.8ghz, iv got a slightly better graphics card, so im hoping that will take the slack up. I know its really just willie waving in the wind, but iv been listening to him brag for ages, and want it to look like i know what im doing when i overclock my new rig.

Stupidly asking for help, without tellin specs ( sorry, im a newbie)

new build :

i7 3820
    sabertooth x79
    32gb vengence kit ( 8x4gb )
    128gb cruical m4 ssd
    2tb 'cuda hhd
    xonar dx
    ocz zx 1250w
    H100 for cooling, installed the 4 fans on it
    corsair 700d case....removed the lower hdd cage and cut a few new holes for extra fans :
    2 x120mm fans on side feeding g/c space, 1 slim 120mm fan on back panel to cool chipset
    2 x 140mm fans as intake on floor, 1 120mm fan next to raditor in roof of case, and 1 140mm fan as exhaust

Im carrying over my 580 from my current pc(didnt see the point in upgrading that/ran out of money to upgrade that ) ..... and question, would it be worthwhile also fitting a 8800 gts 512 as a physx card ?

Got a copy of windows 7 pro, and a few lights to throw in there, and thats it done. Sorry for the long post, but iv bought the best i could afford, and just wanting some help and advice on sqeezing that little bit more out, and what to use to do it, and its best if you know my starting point.

Thanks for takin the time to help me out folks.