1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Raspberry Pi Ideas

Discussion in 'Software' started by deathtaker27, 20 Apr 2014.

1. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Hi,

I'm after some more ideas for what to do with my Raspberry Pi, I have googled for ideas but few give me aspirations to complete them.

So far I have on my pi:

xrdp
    apache2 webserver (LAMP)
    pptp vpn server (I know its not that secure)
    ftp
    citadel mail server
    nmap
    ssh
    telnet (I know I shouldn't)
    Samba
    privoxy (Proxy server)
    Firefox sync server
    phpmyadmin

Everything is working but its a dev box so if you recommend i build a mail server from scratch rather than using citadel I may do it, but only if it means i will learn something from the experience.

So basically I'm after a few more ideas where I could learn a lot more about linux?

Thanks

DT.

Last edited: 20 Apr 2014
  2. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm just learning by doing lots and lots of different projects. The more I tackle, the more I learn. At the moment I have the following:

512MB Model B running Raspbmc, mounted to kitchen TV using VESA PiBow, acting as media player.

512MB Model B running Raspbian, power via PoE board, mounted in IP66 weatherproof container with RasPi camera & ancillaries, capturing year long time lapse of changing seasons in a row of large trees.

256MB Model B running on desk in dev role, currently with Adafruit PiTFT & compatible Pibow, using Raspbian. Currently working on building a time lapse rail controller as featured on the Adafruit learn site.

3. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

I just went all out and put DNS, LDAP, Kerberos, MariaDB, nginx, PHP, OpenVPN, SSH, and a variety of other tools on my Pi. It's great that I can leave it on all the time without having to worry about power usage or noise. Oh, the sub-2ms DNS query times are quite nice too.

4. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Thanks,

gone and setup dnsmasq for DNS and DHCP
    sorted out the mathkernel missing LSB override tags

I'm surprised just how much you can do with so little power.

lp rob1, do you have a tutorial for the Kerberos setup onto the raspberry pi?

5. darknessblade

darknessblade What's a Dremel?

6. HeaverNothing

HeaverNothing Professional Idiot

I recently made a retro Raspberry Pi MAME cabinet for my Junior Cert ( The Irish GCSE's ) . I used a program call Pi-MAME for it. It has lots of console emulators such as PSX , NES , NeoGeo etc. It was a really cool project and I'm happy the way it turned out.
    [​IMG]

7. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Not Pi in my case, but it could be done on Pi too - i attached a 1-wire temperature sensor to my Beaglebone black, and now i can just check the /sys/bus/w1/devices/w1_bus_master1/28-00000559d26c/w1_slave file, which outputs :
    Code:
    a1 01 4b 46 7f ff 0f 10 d9 : crc=d9 YES
    a1 01 4b 46 7f ff 0f 10 d9 t=26062
    That means 26.062°C.

Next step - create a Munin plugin, which will then push this temperature to the Munin server, and that will make a nice chart in the Munin web interface :).

8. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

I use mine as a asterix based phone system :)

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

what hardware are you using for viop gateway?

10. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

he he he, i'm not using a voip gateway. my voip implementation is pure IP. I don't use any POTS technology in my setup. The voip carrier i use provides the configuration settings required to register a trunk between my phone system and their servers.

If i were to use one it would most likely me something from linksys/cisco.

The distribution i use is raspbx since it includes a nice web gui for management.