1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

amd-catalyst-omega-14.12 drivers crashing

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by debs3759, 28 Jan 2015.

1. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I had a problem with the graphics drivers crashing, so I upgraded to amd-catalyst-omega-14.12 last week. I still typically see the drivers crashing a couple of times every day and have to reboot to ensure everything is working properly.

System specs:

Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H
    Llano A8-3870
    4 GB RAM (although Windoze says 3 GB with only 2 available)
    XFX HD 7770
    Windows 7 64-bit with all updates

The graphics card runs the same at stock clocks and overclocked so I left it oc to 1155 MHz core (haven't tried maxing it out, but pretty sure it would cope)

Anyone got any clues to why the drivers might keeo crashing when folding?

2. StreetSam

StreetSam Minimodder

I had to get rid of all my 7970s as the drivers were rubbish, I never got to the bottom of it but it is something to do with atikmpg (sic) I seem to remember.

3. debs3759

I have reverted to the 14.9 drivers, hope they are more reliable. Some folk on the Stanford forums say they are better. Guess I'll know in the next few hours :)

4. debs3759

i started getting all manner of bsod crashes, including memory management errors, at least every couple of hours, last night. I had already stopped folding on the APU. As a result I have stopped folding on this system until I get a decent NVidia GPU (probably a 970, folding on that should suffer the problems that have been reported) to stick in the PC. Just folding on my 2600K now (good for around 29K - 32K ppd @ 4.5 GHz)

5. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

Did you get any high temperatures on the video card at all?

That's when I would get the drivers crashing on my HD7970.

I used the optimiser that comes with the catalyst control centre to put the over-clock, HA under-clock, well into the green area. Once I did that I go not problems.

How hot did the room the computer in get to too?

6. debs3759

The GPU never went over 51 C. I also had the fan speed set to 50% to keep it cool. Didn't measure the CPU temp, but with the massive cooler it has on it and the fact I had already stopped CPU folding it won't have been very hot. I suspect it to be a Llano problem, not enough CPU power to cope with the GPU, but I have now given up on trying to fix it alongside this GPU. Shame, as that means up to 38K ppd lost, but I won't lose sleep over it :)