1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 3-Pin Fan Plugs - SHORT Question.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PureSilver, 8 Apr 2009.

1. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Am looking to splice connectors into all 5 of my case fans and all 5 temperature probes so I can pull the controller without having to de-stick all the probes and rummage in hard-to-reach corners of my case. The logical connectors, I thought, would be standard 3-pin fan plugs for the fans, and maybe for the probes too (though they're only 2-wire), since then I don't have to cut any cables on the bus and can just use them as a sort of extension cable.

This was logical until I realised that I have no idea where to find such things as just the plugs. Neither Maplin nor RS seem to be much use. Why can't you just buy a bag of them? Aren't they hand-solder-able, or what?

If you know where to get hold of such things, or indeed ANY easy to solder small 3-cable connections - let me know! Do NOT want to have to stick a #$%£ing terminal block in my pride and joy... :dremel:

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Futurlec has them much cheaper. They won't charge $10 for shipping either.

Direct link
    It will take forever to get the stuff. They ship directly from Thailand.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2009
  4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Is Farnell of any use? They do free delivery! Note that some of the pictures are wrong and some of the ones that are pictured as 5-way are actually 3-way!

Edit: this one doesn't have tabs on it, but would probably work, and looks easy to solder!

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

With a large minimum order. :sigh:

Futurlec are 10-14 days to the UK IIRC but cheap delivery and zero VAT to pay.:thumb:

btw, Maplin sell them, as do Rapid. Just look for 0.1" PCB connectors. Not all that easy to solder wires to the male part; another idea is 3.5mm stereo jack pairs.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2009
  6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Nooooooo! When did they change that? I once bought £1.10 of PCB buttons and the UPS guy came the next day for free!

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Trade account customers have always been free but "The minimum order value for non-account credit or debit card customers is £20" is what I found for Useful Links a year or so back. Can't find anything about "non-account credit or debit card customers" in the latest T&C (March 2009)

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Aha! It's still free for me though because I'm a freeloading student! (onecall.farnell.com) :p

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

I... wow. Thanks, everyone, those look very promising!