1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Rage Technical Analysis

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Oct 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

"such as the improvements to the shadows and lighting engine compared to the previous id Tech 4 engine"

I completely disagree. There isn't any dynamic lighting, all shadows etc are pre-baked. It's a step backwards from id Tech 4.

3. MadMinstrel

MadMinstrel What's a Dremel?

So where's the technical analysis? Any random monkey could turn vsync on and off and complain there isn't any difference in the screenshots... In an analysis I expect to read not only what happens, but also why.

4. t.y.wan

t.y.wan What's a Dremel?

Is it really that hard to enable more options in the graphics options menu? Anti-aliasing as Low, medium and high? really? Is it just too difficult to put in 0x-16x? Mechanics, is it that hard to put in an option for turning off aim assists? Is it possible to have a better sensitivity option???
    Is it even possible to have more realistic damage of weapons? Even just in singleplayer??
    I have seen enemies taking 3 shells to put down or I can just use a wingstick to one shot him or a whole clip of assault rifle rounds onto his face?? Really?
    I am quite disappointed...

5. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

To be honest I'd settle for the poor textures etc as long as the game play is good. I still enjoy playing old games with poor graphics by todays standards simply because they are fun to play (eg Far Cry).

6. scott_chegg

scott_chegg Minimodder

Totally agree. It doesn't ever look really bad but at the same time it doesn't ever look amazing. The pop in is only slightly noticeable on my system running with the 8k config file and everything on max. It runs amazingly smooth. The game play however is utterly superb and for me that's the most important thing. I'm only a few hours in but I'm totally loving it. Hopefully the cross fire support is arriving this week so I don't have to keep turning it off to play.

7. musicrab

musicrab What's a Dremel?

I've got a lowly E5800 CPU (@3GHz) and ATI HD4800 (512MB). Ok, this is pretty near the min spec but the game plays fine. A bit of texture pop-in but its bareable.

Is it a good game? Its a great game. To be honest I'm not a great RPG fan and would quite happily select the "go to next shooter level" button but I guess that would reduce the length of the game somewhat.

The attention to detail with the mini-games is quite amazing but not sure if that's the best use of development effort.

And finally the graphics. With my low-end system I will put up with the quite horrible close-up textures. These really show up indoors but I will bite my lip and get on with what this game does best - 1st person shooter action.

I DO really feel for the people with uber-rigs who also have to look at these terrible textures and question Carmacks inability with idTeck5 to allow these textures to be displayed as these people expect.

8. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I can't say that Rage, as an idea, drew me in. The graphics are OK, but aren't anything to be wowed by (like Crysis was, Metro 2033, etc) what little I've seen of the game lends me to think it's not worth buying until it's a maximum of a tenner, possibly even a fiver.

I'm curious, but can't help but feel that Quake, Quake 2 (which I really liked. ah good times in Q2DM1) Quake 3 and Doom 3 were far better achievements than Rage. :(

Maybe I actually need to play it, then I'll get drawn in... maybe.

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's such a shame, because the idea is sound and quite revolutionary. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other engines that can tweak the textures on the fly to maintain frame rate.

What a bummer they so badly botched up the execution though!

10. bosstag

bosstag What's a Dremel?

@musicrab - good to know you can run it, I have a similar spec (E6600 @ 3ghz, GTX285)

People with consoles are used to shabby textures, and to be fair with my spec I was hardly likely to see top-end performance, but I'm disappointed anyway. I need an upgrade, and Rage was a game I'd been looking forward to for ages, but now it's here and the graphics aren't up to much I doubt I'll bother with the upgrade.

...so actually id have saved me money!

11. austinmain

austinmain What's a Dremel?

I installed Rage on my meagre E660 Core Duo with an ATI Radeon 5770... absolutely unplayable with single digit framerates... what's this I thought - no means to alter the graphics settings? I thought I must have missed something so I spent a while digging around to find the settings, but no sadly I was right the first time. Well, I had been eyeing up an upgrade anyhow so I bought an NVidia 570GTX to see what would happen... Well, that did the trick! Smooth playable and nice to look at too. But not is all well; lots of graphical glitches with the latest approved drivers and the two subsequent beta drivers as well. A mate of mine has the same issues with a higher spec machine than mine. I get occaisional lockups, tearing and other graphical anomolies... bit dissapointing from that side of things, BUT, I can put up with all that (I am sure a patch/drivers will come out to fix these issues soon) because the game is AWSOME! I love it; I haven't had as much fun since Borderlands was released and that is saying something becasue I love Borderlands.

If you haven't tried Rage and you like shooters, get a copy soon - it is fantastic fun.

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

The criticisms have probably been overly harsh, but when Carmack took centre stage for this title I think everyone expected something very special for PC, this time around from id . Carmack has since admitted that if PC had been primary platform then id could have, "unquestionably provided a better experience".

These days, people are a bit more savvy to ports and the missing PC features that multi platform usually entails. Take the low res textures and the non GI lighting system , better to be using dynamic lighting instead of pre-baked and high res textures. These two things alone could have had a huge impact on graphical look and quality on PC.

Carmack is quoted as saying:
    So who knows?

Last edited: 12 Oct 2011
  13. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Well if the game isn't cutting edge graphics I'm not paying cutting edge prices.

14. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Aye.

I am not paying full whack for a game only to have to make a custom config file just to get it to work properly.

Couple of patches and a steam sale down the line and I will pick it up.

15. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Was going to be a day one purchase for me , glad i cancelled the pre - order - will get it in a few months when its cheap..

16. Huxen5

Huxen5 What's a Dremel?

Technical problems aside the game is very fun, one of the best I've played in ages. The screenshot's don't do it justice, the animation and level geometry are excellent, cool characters and shotgunning a mutant in the face as it runs at you is very satisfying. Yes if you look closely at a wall or floor texture alone it looks poor but when an entire scene is taken as a whole it looks great. I nearly didn't buy it because of the negative talk online but I'm glad I did.

17. Huxen5

Huxen5 What's a Dremel?

I'd like to reiterate that the characters are fascinating, clearly a lot of work has gone into making them unique and interesting and as far from cookie cutter clones as you can get.

18. tupera

tupera What's a Dremel?

Quote, "You can choose to design a game around the specs of a high-end PC and make console versions that fail to hit the design point, or design around the specs of the consoles and have a high-end PC provide incremental quality improvements,' says id Software's John Carmack. 'We chose the latter."

Translate - screw you PC gamers! (Even though it was PC gamers who got us filthy rich). We're in it for even more money!

Not that I'm surprised, but I guess it's refreshing to finally see a company admit they don't care about the PC market anymore in lieu of making more money in the console franchise.

19. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

I really am enjoying rage personally - its a bit like a 20 min rollercoaster.

I do wish there was a story etc.. but what can you do...

please someone do a game that makes me go wow those graphics are amazing - but the last game that did that was crysis (and before that doom 3 and hl2)

at present I want that 5 mins of fun... and some tits please ;-)

20. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

Well the game worked fine from the off on my system, patched it and now it even looks a BIT better, point is, yeah it was made for consoles, I don't own a console, i'm 48 and have been gaming on pc's i've built myself for as long as I can remember, BUT, consoles are where the kids money's at ( the money we as parents STILL have to fork out). Regardless of whether we made the industry as profitable as it is today, were playing 2nd fiddle now, i'm disgusted too, there is no loyalty where the mighty dollar is concerned, but its a fact of life, and I suppose we've no choice other than to suck it up, because any boycott or mass piracy would just encourage them to stop developing for us at all sadly.

Tags: Add Tags