1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Christmas present suggestions.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 26 Oct 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I know we are still a fair bit away from this event but each year I suffer months of torment trying to decide what to buy my partner for her main Christmas present. And given that money is more tight this year I need to start saving but for what I do not know.

She is 70 and not into tech though she does have her own PC for playing the Hidden Object games she loves. She does not need a smart phone as provided her phone can make calls, send texts and take the odd picture she is happy enough. I recently updated her Doro given her poor hearing.

In the past I have done the jewellery route, photos to canvas decently framed, decent TV for when she has to spend a few days in bed. Perfume and that sort of stuff she gets in abundance from elsewhere.

So I thought I would turn to you good folk here for suggestions.

2. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Maybe plan and pay for a day out? Somewhere She's always wanted to go but never found the time/funds?

Gifts that provide memories are much more valuable than anything tangible : )

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Great idea except no car so travelling would be an issue. Though I wonder if a spa day/weekend would be suitable?

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

If she only really uses her PC for hidden object games, why not get her a cheap tablet? The Hudl2 is only £130, it's got a nice big (8") easy to see screen and would be suitable for playing her beloved games. You could even preload it with a couple of her favourites if they're available on Android?

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have suggested a tablet but her answer has always been "why would I want to play my games on a tiny screen when I have a lovely 24" monitor instead.

On the same note I suggested a kindle as she is a keen reader but she prefers books, as in paper backs, which she can get for little money at the local second hand book shop.

6. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I noticed your location. Lochside Spa hotel near Cumnock in Ayrshire is lovely and do gift packages. We went earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Family portrait? We've run out of ideas so we try and get things that involve memories and stuff, as my mom gets all sappy over old pictures. Mothers day was a tablet filled with various pictures throughout my parents lives, as well as us (the kids).

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Walls are covered in them.

9. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

A remote controlled helicopter :)

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have one winging it's way and if she likes it I will upgrade her to a proper one. lol.

11. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

I'm with Gary. She needs a remote controlled Helicopter :thumb:

12. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

I know mate :)

This advice is coming from someone who bought his partner a bottle of ant killer from poundland as a birthday present. I had the 'I don't want anything, there is nothing I need' cobblers.

She needed some antkiller so I wrapped it up and gave it to her. I also encouraged her two teenage sons to buy her some slug killer and a plastic rain cover for her garden chair... also from poundland.

13. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Please tell me that she has a soft Scottish accent, that is how I am reading it anyway...

Right now for my 2p worth.
    This year my grandad was 80 and I had no idea what to get him. He has had some health issues lately and his memory was affected, not severely, just a little bit.
    After a bit of deliberation and googling I decided that with the help of my family I would make 365 memories from people, or pictures of things from his life. It took a little organising, but people helped giving their memories of him and their thoughts.

Every day he takes one of these from the jar and reads it, every day it either puts a smile on his face or gives him something to think about from his past. Then every day he puts them into an ice cream tub ready to open again next year (that was his choice).

Total cost approximately £15 including a big glass vase to put them in, paper and printing. Total enjoyment: immeasurable.
    Total brownie points: massive as it is something personal that took you time to do.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Nice idea but family, apart from a son who although is one of the wealthy bankers we have heard so much about insists his 70 year old mother should get the bus to meet him on the rare occasion he deigns to find the time to meet her for lunch. She has no other family alive that is. Pretty much just me and her.

As I said nice idea in theory. Thanks.