1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Any good reason not to strip EK-FC480 GTX?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blogins, 11 Apr 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just got my second hand GTX 480 complete with EK-FC480 GTX water block. It looks well used so I'm going to give it a good alcohol swab after taking the EK-FC480 GTX water block off the GTX 480 card. Is there any good reason why I should not take the water block apart itself? I intend to soak the assembly in alcohol after removing any rubber innards so that it'll be easier to deep clean any rubbish stuck to the block be it inside or out. Also probably treat the rubber seal to some silicone grease for a nice tight water proofed seal upon reassembly.

2. dirky90

dirky90 Minimodder

it will void the warranty of the block itself (if one still exists)

other than than no, just be careful when reassembling and leak test before installation.

rob

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

EDIT: Read the thread properly. My bad.

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

If it's an acrylic topped block, there's a chance it could cause it to craze or even shatter in alcohol. I use water and dish soap. If the block has stubborn deposits, I use vinegar.

Fizzban likes this.
  5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Good shout, have a cookie! :thumb:

6. asura

asura jack of all trades

Also it doesn't void your warranty at large (as if that matters to us) just your warranty against it leaking and damaging your equipment.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Stripped it today and there was lots of corrosion!

[​IMG]

I'm afraid I had to take a nylon brush and small screw driver to the block to produce this...

[​IMG]

Not bad for a cheap jack GPU and Water Block combo considering! :D

8. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Om nom nom corrosion.

As mentioned before, I usually just leave in vinegar with stuff like that, but just make sure you properly clean the block with deionised/distilled once youre done with it and before it goes back in the loop.

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I'm not overly concerned as it'll be feeding in to my bottom 240 radiator from the GPU water block. So in theory if any crap does dislodge it'll settle in my ramshackle 240 RAD! Then RAD to reservoir and on to the pump before it feeds the CPU and chipset cooling.

10. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

I work in the oil and gas industry and a lot of the equipment on the rig has O ring seals. Very high pressure stuff. Adding silicone grease to the seal is a bad idea, best bet is just to make sure the sealing area and seal itself are clean and dry when you put it back together. That is what we do for the 15000psi seals in our Blow Out Preventers.

11. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

Right get 1 bottle of jiff lemon juice pour into shallow container sit the block into it for 12 hours...job done