1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Dual radiator?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phillthy, 7 May 2012.

1. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

Hey folks!

I'm in the process of thinking about the watercooling set up for my new rig.

I've got an MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II/OC and an I5 3570K to be cooled.

for the time being I'm thinking of getting a basic XSPC RS240 kit just for the CPU and leaving the GPU on stock cooling for a couple of weeks until payday. When the time comes I was planning on just adding another RS240 Radiator to the loop would this give decent performance? I'm not planning on OC'ing the GPU anymore than it already is but the CPU will be up at around 4.5 hopefully. Would the pump be able to handle this also?

I'm putting everything into a CM690 II Adv case which has space for a bottom and top mounted radiator and I'll be using both.

With this in mind it would just leave the large intake fan at the front for the rest of the board and the small exhaust fan at the back, would this provide sufficient cooling for everything else?

To summarise:

1) Will 2 x 240mm Rads give good cooling results for a stock GTX580 & an I5 3570k @4.5Ghz
    2) Will the XSPC Rasa Reservoir/Pump combination have enough power for a dual radiator set up?
    3) Will there be adequate cooling for the rest of the board/components given that 4 fan spaces will be taken up by radiators, leaving one 140mm intake fan and an 80mm exhaust?

Any advice would be appreciated! :D

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Might it not be better to wait the two weeks and do it all at once? So you don't have to build the loop twice. Unless you want the out right experience points of doing it twice.

3. xPinky

xPinky What's a Dremel?

My water cooling knowledge leaves a lot to be desired but some information that may come in handy for you is that my 3570K chip doesn't get hot untill after 4.5, till that point it only takes steady increases in voltage to get it stable but from 4.6 onward the increments get steeper and hotter, of course this can vary chip by chip tho.

At 4.5Ghz I was around 77C on the hottest core with an H80 cooling on its lowest setting under stress, for reference.

4. Phillthy

Phillthy What's a Dremel?

That's a fair point law, I could just leave the CPU with the stock cooler until the kit arrives and do everything at once.

xPinky - It looks like a dual rad set up will leave me plenty of headroom for further OC'ing on both the CPU & GPU then!

Thanks muchly! :)