1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Ten Years On: Thief: Deadly Shadows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 May 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The worst thing about playing older games is the knowledge that the game was very good and then the realisation hits that our expectations have changed. Whether it is just visuals or game-play and game dynamics that no longer hold up to current standards and yet also knowing that current games seem not to have the same impact on us the way these older games did back in the day.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ah, the Cradle - be still, my frantically pounding heart.
    This sums it up perfectly. When I recall my experiences from Thief DS, I'm reminded of the more recent Dear Esther - it felt like you were immersed in a story. It wasn't seamless, and parts felt a little disjointed but sometimes that immersion was total and heart-stoppingly ruinous for your trousers.

Aside from the Shalebridge Cradle, the mansion and the library were indeed some of the most memorable levels from any game. Being stalked through the town by the hag and her giant gargoyles played hell with my nerves.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

This game is a prime contender for 'the single most useless and uninformative in-game map' award that has ever been coded.

I remember what a complete waste of time it was and led to many wasted hours going round in circles having no idea where I was supposed to go next.

6. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

Thief DS has one of the best and most terrifying levels ever created in a game, an Orphanage, then a joint Insane Asylum where the children were moved to a separate wing, a pyromaniac patient was sick of the ill treatment of himself and other inmates so he burned the place down it is believed as a single broken chair was found, this was the chair he sat in looking out a window at a burning tower.

Scary enough setting that you hear about eaves dropping on conversations in the vicinity, you also know the level is coming soon when visiting the area as first few visits people just talk about everyday type stuff, after a few visits to the area you start getting little nuggets of information about what it is, how it is haunted etc

Shalebridge Cradle comes straight to mind whenever someone mentions the Thief series, it creeps me out every time I go through DS.

http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Shalebridge_Cradle

7. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I didn't realise it was 10 years old now - I do think it looks okay still, but then I'm not running any really up to date games on my relatively old hardware. I had installed the first three games in anticipation of the new one coming out but I'm still playing through the The Metal Age when I get the time.

The games certainly had some great 'panic' moments and levels that you really felt involved in - The Bonehoard was another that stood out.

I think you are right about the feel of movement in DS, there were mods out which I installed on DS to make it feel more like the first games and I'll probably try to find them again before playing DS again.

One of the biggest irritations if I remember was the in-level loading carry over from the consoles. Even that was only a minor annoyance for me although a lot was made of it at the time.

Ooh got me going again, I can't wait to get through TMA and onto DS now...

Tags: Add Tags