1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware NZXT Phantom 820 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 7 Nov 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Not sure of the price as you can get a Thermatake GT for the same price which I think is a better case. But thanks for the review and left us for something to think about. I'm sure Kier will do something with it.

3. justicefornone

justicefornone What's a Dremel?

Looks good. I love my Phantom case -or the Monolith as it's become known by my friends!- but really felt for the cash it was missing a few features which are all on this case. As long as there is room for the case then I couldn't recommend the Phantom more.

One of these days I will get around to adding a side-window to mine... One day...

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Its a nice water cooling case, personally for the price id expect to see all fan mounts filled i have the orginal phantom case that was released 3 years back its an awesome case and was a very easy install. Fans on maximum are pretty quiet.

5. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Shouldn't be but unlike its predecessor?

I really like the case and the colour scheme was great, the only thing to top that should be a gunmetal grey like the Phantom 410. Plenty of access and of options to build a rig inside.
    The grommets show quality and the WC capability out of the box is just wonderful

Downsides: The hdd brackets are simply terrible from the looks of it, doesn't add nothing really. The middle caddy can't be removed unless you drill the rivets, at this point all you have mentioned.
    The £200 price tag is the most hard to swallom characteristic due to the case being made of Steel and Plastic. Yes, lot of forethought was made, the size, specs out of the box but still can't find they is enough to splash £200. I mean, my Zalman GS1000 hasn't the same room for WC but the HDD brackets are sturdy and, with the Hot Swap PCB, completely functional. Has 2 aluminium side panels. Full tower also and it cost me 140€, around £112,30.

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

Nice case, should i opt for watercooling in my next build, this will be on my list.

7. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

This wasnt tested with all fans installed. I have the original phantom. Amazing case. The new case is better.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The features and design scores seem awfully high for a case with dodgy HDD mounts and redundant ODD fasteners. :confused:

Otherwise, it looks like a nice case that's been over-priced.

9. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

I have always liked NZXT cases for their sheer individuality amongst all the other black boxes. I run both a Phantom and a 410. I hope they have changed their fan control supplier as this aspect has been a common cause of failure in the past as I know to my cost. Pity they don't fit a Nesteq Fan Max in the fron panel and forget the existing controller hardware.
    I always get the feeling that NZXT design the case but never actually build a PC from it to learn where the snags are. hence the failure to appreciate the poor HDD mounts etc. if you can live with the quirks that come with a NZXT case it is fine -and certainly different. I wish they would use , as I do , air penetrator fans to aim at the components such as the GPU--Now that really works!

10. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

NZXT hires PC gamers to help design their cases.

11. tigertop1

tigertop1 What's a Dremel?

Maybe they are hiring the wrong ones, or else not listening to what they hear, as final production models seem to persist in having simple flaws that should be easily ironed out in design developement. In fact it is quite difficult to make a point to the design department of NZXT since they simply fail to respond to any suggestions.

I still like NZXT's overall flair for standing out as something different but I just wish their case pre- production manufacturing runs were subject to really serious test builds. It would pay off and avoid later problems as in the early run 410 fan controller fault.

12. Joey Propane

Joey Propane What's a Dremel?

£200 for a steel and plastic case... could get a nice Lian Li for that money.

13. Ra6

Ra6 What's a Dremel?

In my opinion (Phantom case owner) this is the "good" made "BETTER"! :D

14. XNine

XNine What's a Dremel?

We do? Funny, never heard that was a prerequisite.

Tags: Add Tags