1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Requesting help with routing on 2008r2

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by HybriDPjT, 8 Mar 2015.

1. HybriDPjT

HybriDPjT What's a Dremel?

i hold my hands up and say ive still yet to delve into the finer, more detailed points of networking like, manual routing (ris) or custom subnets and probably more specifically static ip routing, but i know enough to know that i know a little bit about a big f***n picture that said..

so im trying to setup a server with 2 nic's one connects to the web and the other has the lan on it.

this server is 2008 r2 sp1 (i think sp1) its configured as a domain controller, so dns included, dhcp service with windows deployment service too (the main point behind it)

the idea-
    to have one nic service the lan with A/D , dns , dhcp , and wds
    and the other to provide outside access to the internet (for all the stuff that this server cant provide)
    but this is where im getting stuck..

the topology (if thats the right way to phrase it) goes like this-
    there is an existing "backbone" of daisy chained switches that flow up to a router and onward and outward, and i would like to have this server with 2 nic's use one to connect to the backbone (providing internet access) and the other nic providing the services to the lan WITHOUT the lan traffic i.e dhcp broadcasts and wds traffic leaking onto the backbone network segment..

can this be done just using the one server box with 2 nic's ?

i have successfully setup a small lan using a cable router (dhcp disabled and run from the server)
    as the default gateway with the server second in line and a switch connected to the router as well which i have tested and has full connectivity (ive been running it like that for the last week with no issues)

but the reason for wanting to set it up using 2 nic's rather than a router as the cutoff (to stop dhcp etc saturating the backbone) is to have the server connected direct to a switch so it can provide its services to the network while hopefully not taking a hit on speed due to a slower router, and then send the other traffic out via the nic connected to the backbone (if this makes sense lol)

im not sure if a network bridge (between the nic's in windows) is right or even enough to achive what im trying to do, or if the only way is the way i have it working by using a router as a broadcast cut off point?

tcp/ip stuff-

default gateway 192.168.2.1 (router which is in turn connected to the backbone network)
    server nic1 192.168.2.2 (uses the router address as the default gateway)
    server nic2 192.168.2.3

this is where i came undone, i played around with the ip settings (default gateway and default dns , alt dns and the dhcp scope server options) while keeping the static ip's constant but to no avail.. i managed to get the network icon on the test client (connected via switch to router lan) to change and say internet access through a dns change in dhcp but still couldnt get out on the test client. could also successfully ping the server but not the first nic (192.168.2.2) nor the router (192.168.2.1)

im doing this for the love lol the need and want to progress , grow and learn in the real world and as a side note my company get a wds server or 2 to deliver the software side of the production line lol

im greatful for any help you guys can give, and if anymore info is needed please just ask and ill give back as much details as i can!

thanks everyone! :thumb:

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Your best bet is to draw a picture there buddy.

Presuming those addresses are in the default class C subnet - which from your post I am assuming - you aren't going to get any benefit having two nics on one lan if you aren't using link aggregation, and even then you need a switch to support it. TBF I've never tried to set up two NICs on one LAN with two addresses that aren't secondary IPs on a secondary subnet on the same layer 2 broadcast domain... and personally I can't see why you would, but someone might have done so here for a reason they may choose to explain. If you try do so on a router you will get an error message.

If your two NICs are on the LAN, connected to switches in the same layer 2 broadcast domain, you will receive the same layer 2 broadcast information... twice.

Are you trying to use the server as a router?

If you want to get into the world of networking you should get hold of the CBT Nuggets videos for the ICND1 & 2 or CCNA by Jeremy Cioara; he actually makes learning for Cisco bearable. And if you actually like networking, although Cisco is the big one, Juniper is by far the better product from a feature standpoint in my experience, if sometimes a bit slow though through the CLI.

How many devices are on your LAN?

Last edited: 13 Mar 2015
  3. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Awesome reply. Think I might check that out

4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

The videos by CBT Nuggets with Jeremy, I think, are actually quite enjoyable. He doesn't quite dust off all you'll need for the two exams, but if you follow them all through and get your hands dirty with GNS3 (which I am more than happy to help with) you'll be well on your way. I read the Wendell Odom books also... and there was still stuff on my exam I'd never seen before, so the buck doesn't stop with just one method.

5. HybriDPjT

well a small server ive thrown together i think could service a lan of 5 clients (for win 7 installs)

at the moment i have a tiny lan setup using a cable router with dhcp off
    and it also serves as the default gateway that connects me to the main lan and thus to the net.

the server handles all the services and takes one spot on the router, with 3 clients on the others.

ive tested connectivity by taking a client away and connecting a switch in its place which works fine too.

the trouble came when i was ready to setup the server on the software bench for a test run of 5 clients to see if she could hack it only to realise that we had no cable routers around (i hunted high and low lol)
    so i could put the small one on a real test run and work on the bigger one i found :)

which is a dell precision 690 case
    x2 xeon 3.0ghz quads with 16gb ram, 64gb sys ssd and a software raid 0 for the wds install images and bits and bobs :)

the first smaller one is a
    intel Q6600 quad 2.4ghz
    8gb 6400u
    80gb hdd sys
    500gb hdd storage

where the routing problem comes in..
    i was trying to find a way to allow internet traffic to pass through one nic on the server (from the client end) and out the second nic to the router and beyond..
    because i only had 1 router so this was an idea for a work around..

i should explain that i work in a computer recycling place on the "production" side (basically building comps all day)

and a network installation server was an idea i had been toying with for a while, so after lots of time in virtualbox land, i moved it out of the bedroom and into the real world, its not something im required to do as part of my job, ive just really wanted to build and setup my own server for network installs as ive done training M$ mcdst and i was starting in on the server environment and network infrastructure stuff when life girlfriends and kids came along lol

so until now , ive never had a chance to try any server stuff in the real world :)

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'm no expert on what you can and can't do with a windows server, but I do see that you can install/enable routing services on 2008r2.

Presumably with this you can have your LAN side on one NIC, then and another LAN side with the other NIC with a default route off your network via the router on it as it has your WAN connection.

[​IMG]

Something like that is what you want to achieve?

You will need to give the server a default route of the LAN interface it is connecting to. All devices on the switch will have a default gateway of the server. The router will also need a route back to your subnet of your host devices. They will be different subnets, between say, router & nic 1, & nic 2 and your hosts.

This is a simple setup. I advise you sit down and watch a few of the videos on switching and routing with the CBT Nuggets videos. You don't need to know a lot about subnetting, just that it is a way of dividing up a network, for whatever reason. You'll want to also pay attention to NAT. In the picture I have given, you will presumably be using NAT at the router... but the router may not be aware that it needs to translate the addresses on your LAN out nic 2 on the server, which will be important when trying to reach the "internet."

Trial and error is the best way to learn, but if you don't sit down and know some of the rules of networking, you may be banging your head against the wall for no reasonable gain, & only put yourself off in the long run.

7. HybriDPjT

Thanks Law99 for the advice and that pic is EXACTLY what im trying to setup lol

im familiar with nuggetlab and have already found a source for the series you recommended, so thanks again for pointing me in the right direction dude!

ive decided to keep things simple for the setup for the moment and ive aquired another router so i can now setup 2 functional lans for my network installation experiments :) and i will dig into those nugget series and up my networking iq before further attempts at the second nic method :)

all being well ill be able to post back with a success story!

Thanks again! :thumb: :rock:

8. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Simple is normally best, within reason. Hope you get on well with it.

9. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

You could use hyperv and a Linux firewall?