1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Compression Fittings vs Barbs

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by HawkeSolaris, 1 May 2014.

1. HawkeSolaris

HawkeSolaris What's a Dremel?

Just to spark a debate, what are people's general experiences of compression fittings vs barbs for their water cooling kits? Been watching some guides and a comment that caught my attention was about compression fittings vs barbs. Apparently compression fittings are safer (?) and maybe preferred.

What is the general opinion here?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

All the compression fittings I've used had a barb, with a ring that screwed down to hold the tube on, although I think the barb alone would be enough. The compression ring just makes it extra safe, which makes me happy.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I would tend to agree with this, compo's are safe. But that said, in the bigger sizes they can be a bit bulky. What I have done with barbs in the past is use tubing that is a size smaller, IE 1/2 in fitting, with 7/16 tubing. It gives a really sleek look and although a big tight to fit, once its on it's never coming off and wont leak, so there is no need for hose clamps of any sort.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Both are safe, IMO. Barbs have wormdrive clips or plastic snap-on clips; compression fittings have screw-on rings. If you know what you are doing you can't go wrong with either.

5. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

Nexxo is right, neither has an advantage its all done to what you like the look of or what will fit your budget, compression fittings are quite expensive compared to barbs.

6. Korvus

Korvus May contain traces of sanity.

Compression fittings, are, in my experience, a lot easier to work with and a lot tidier looking :)

7. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Generally, the more of a pain in the arse it is to get the tubing onto the fitting, the better the fit will be.
    Heating the end of the tubing up in hot water helps make it more flexible. I also sometimes use a pair of needle nose pliers to stretch the end a bit wider as well.
    Oh, and remember to slide the compression fitting up the tubing before you attach it to the barb. Too many times have I finally managed to get the tube on, only to have to remove it again to fit the compression ring.:duh:

8. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Both are good,oversize the barb in relation the the tube if clampless is your thing. Which it should be if you want barbs,there is no reason to use them with clamps when compressions are better looking.

I hardline all my builds,I am too lazy for 6 month maintenance,every couple of years is enough for me.

9. rts2468

rts2468 What's a Dremel?

Its all aesthetic. Both are basically the same. Barb requires a clamp on the outside of barb. Compression is a Barbed fitting with a screwed on clamp. I prefer a Compression because it looks better and the plastic can break if you do not know how much pressure head is going through the tubing.