1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6950 sudden temp increase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dramatik, 11 Jul 2014.

1. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hi guys so my 6950 has suddenly risen in temperature when gaming. I used to hit 70c whilst playing Crysis 2, Tomb Raider and a few others. Recently however my temps have started to hit 80-85c!!!! Even playing Fifa 14 which used to give me temps around 55c-60c now gets to the 70c mark. Watching HD video also causes temps to hit 60-70c.

The only way to stop temps going above 80-85c is to have the fan at 70% which is bloody loud. Just curious as to why my temps have suddenly increased by a good 10-15c. Recently dusted my case too. Not sure if replacing the TIM will have any tangible benefits, would probably need to buy some as I only have the TIM that came with my Megahalems

This is all with stock clocks btw

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Maybe when you dusted the case some fluff got caught up in the blower?

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

It is that time of year, enjoy! :thumb:

4. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Hmm I guess I could have a look inside the case to see but it was hardly dusty to begin with. My summer temps for the past two years have always been an extra 4-5c. a 15c increase sounds like too much. Just had a go at playing Tomb Raider for 10 minutes, temps got to 86c with the fan at 70%. Sounded like an engine lol

5. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Reapplied the thermal paste on my GPU with some PK-1 and temps have dropped from 80-85c to 70-75c at load and 60% fan ;)

6. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Glad you got it sorted mate. Strange how the temps jumped up over such a short period.

7. dramatik

dramatik Minimodder

Yeah it was an overnight difference too, not a steady climb. Ahh well it was due some new paste. The old stuff was literally caked on and was a few layers thick. Horrible application from the manufacturer