1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics This is screwy?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 27 Jul 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

New Gigabyte GTX 1080 arrived today and I was pleasantly surprised that my custom made backplate will fit very nicely.
    But I hit a snag Gigabyte in it's wisdom affixes the default backplate with two different screw sizes. But even that is not an issue as my backplate only needs 6 points of fixing which do match 6 screws on the default backplate. But these screws are tiny, 1.5 x 3mm and pass through the holes on my backplate.

So I am looking at new screws or is there some other way to fix the backplate to the back of a card?

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Washers?

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

A) I would need tiny 4mm washers which would fit on the countersunk ledge or
    B) Larger washers, which I have, and longer screws, which I do not.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Some suguru to pack out the holes in your custom back plate? Chances are, you can get some that would colour match. However, I have no idea how suguru would act at temperature.

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Allegedly it's okay up to 180 degrees C, but I'm not sure I'd fancy it personally :)

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

A couple of new bolts aren't expensive.

Clicky, you've just got to make sure you get the right size bolt.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And I could buy the same size of screws that also fall through the existing holes.

Ideally tiny washers would be the answer though I have sourced 2 sizes of screws and with the washers I have I maybe alright.

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Screws have arrived but unfortunately the washers I have are too big or rather the centre hole is.

Screw size is 1.6 and I think I need micro washers that are measured in BA but cannot convert so have not got a clue what size I should be looking for. I could of course join a model making forum for the answer but thought I would try here first.