1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical announces Ubuntu for Phones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 3 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

That's pretty sweet. Wouldn't mind giving it a go at some point.

All we need now is Steam for ARM!

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

More competition is never a bad thing, and I certainly like Ubuntu.

I'd buy a smartphone with Ubuntu right now instead of Android, iOS or WP8. Especially if it is able to run any software currently running on Ubuntu 12.04. It would finally do away with compatibility-issues alltogether.

4. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

I doubt it will be able to do that, as all those programs are designed for x86 computers.

However, when they release a tablet with it, it would be very cool to dock it to my main pc.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Most software available in the Ubuntu x86 repository is also available in the Ubuntu ARM repository: LibreOffice, Firefox, Chromium, The Gimp - these are all available when running Ubuntu (or Debian) on an ARM architecture processor. That's the beauty of the open-source world: nobody has to wait for a software company to decide it's worth porting a package, you can just compile it yourself - and then make the binaries available for those who aren't as technically-minded.

6. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

if its a true implementation and all i need to do is plug a mini HDMI cable and a wireless keyboard and mouse into my phone and it transforms into Ubuntu desktop then were do i sign up?

We are currently looking at bring your own devices to work and tbh perfectly honest this could fit the bill, especially if the company is offering you money to buy a device. It also means i wont have to lug around a laptop when im cycling into work.

and then theirs the whole gaming at work issue...

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

It's atleast what Canonical has said it would be ;)

Taken from the Ubuntu-website...

As I do play less and less games, and only use my PC for multimedia and work, I could do totally without Windows these days, if it wouldn't be for Adobe CS :/

Last edited: 3 Jan 2013
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Acer looking into alternatives to android for mobiles, then the rumours about Samsung finally bringing out some Tizen devices, the return of Blackberry, now Ubuntu, good to see the competition heating up.

9. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Just don't have any assembler in your code. That stuff is arch/platform specific.

Once source comes out, I may just put it on my Pre+ (1GHz OC, baby!)

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Wow, what a complete waste of time

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

how is it a waste of time?

At least this phone OS is opensource unlike android, and it's the first option that will allow you to dock your phone and use it as a low power computer so at enterprise level this is genius.

Most sales reps require a laptop and a smart phone because everyone else has a smart phone. So they carry around a £500 laptop and a £350-400 smart phone (usually an iphone) and expect upgrades when something new comes to market. This caused me to pull my hair out considering all they need is VPN access to open spreadsheets, or create the odd word doc.

So a ubuntu phone, rolls it all into one solution much like how motorola tried with the atrix and the laptop dock.

Also the ability to run proper applications or open any file format without having to tweak and root the device.

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I refer you to my previous statement as nothing here suggests anything other than a complete waste of time.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

please enjoy stroking your iphone , whilst the rest of the planet moves on....

14. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ahh thats quite cool, I didn't realise it was that easy :D

15. impar

impar Minimodder

16. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Improved performance through native ARM code for applications (and by extension, improved battery life), compatibility of applications between phone and PC, and full-fledged docking capabilities.

All things Gareth has kindly laid out in the article. Burnout21 has also explained how those improved docking capabilities are highly beneficial for enterprise users.

17. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

This. The defining feature about Android is also its drawback: the Davlik VM.

It uses a form of Java optimized for mobile devices. Thus, if you compile an Android app, it's guaranteed to work on any platform (tablet/phone/laptop, ARM/x86).
    Alas, Java, like Flash, isn't fully-compiled code; one can (almost) easily decompile an APK/JAR.
    (Conspiracy theory: This is why Flash on Android sucks: Interpretive compiler in an interpretive compiler = LAGGGG)

Now, native code: This is where iOS and Ubuphone rock. No Java lag, thus, no system lag.

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even if Ubuntu for smartphones should fail to take over the world, the increased competition should at least scare apple, google and microsoft into improving their mobile operating systems, so even if nothing should come out of ubuntu it could still serve a purpose.

Plus the blurring of the lines between phones / tablets / laptops / desktops is inevitable, its not a question of if, but when.
    Look at what is happening in the hardware world:
    Galaxy Note: crossover from phone and tablet.
    Lenovo Yoga and similar: Cross over between tablet and laptop.
    iMac and other all in one desktops:cross over between laptop and desktop (lets face it, they are just laptops with no hinges for the screen).

But with software we still have the old segregation, why would that not change and why could Ubuntu not be one (of hopefully moire to come) operating systems to do end that segregation?

19. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I'd love Ubuntu on my tablet (an old Hansspad)

But that's likely down to the ICS build I have being a tad flakey :D

20. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

If it gets rid of the stupid Android "Insufficient storage available" error, then I'm all for it!

I do find it strange that all of the IT review sites rave about the latest Android phones, but no-one has investigated Google's stupidity in having a 400MB system partition where most of the apps are stored (or data for the apps anyway), so, despite my Galaxy Note having 11GB of space free, I get this stupid error!

I've had to delete nearly 20 apps, just so that I can update my more frequently used apps.

C'mon Bit-tech, do an investigation!

Andy