1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080 Rollout?

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by BaronVonDuncs, 22 May 2016.

1. BaronVonDuncs

BaronVonDuncs What's a Dremel?

Does Asus have a plan for the roll out of the non reference GTX 1080 GPU? The foundation edition looks a bit weak and is horribly overpriced.

When can we expect the non ref versions of the GTX 1080 like the Strix, Matrix etc? Will the prices be north of the Foundation edition or a bit more reasonable?

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'm sure the prices won't be dropping soon. Too much money to be made selling to the early adopters who have to have the latest thing, regardless of cost.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Would fully expect Strix/DCIII, likely Poseidon and possibly Matrix as well. You'll find out next week at Computex (I will take pics in hardware).

4. BaronVonDuncs

It seems a lot of these cards are already being touted. The Asus Strix looks good although I will be interested to see if a 1080 Matrix comes along.

One thing I did wonder though. The 1080 is supposed to be better for SLi as its has a connection of 650 mhz not the current 400 for a 2 way SLi. This is facilitated by the new Nvidia SLi bridge but if you already have an Asus ROG bridge would it be able to operate at the new higher speed or is only capable of the 400? Any plans by Asus to modify the bridges to allow them to reach the higher connection speed?

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Interesting to see the various power connector configs. 1x 8-pin, 1x 8-pin & 1x 6-pin, 2x 8-pin.

Also, the Strix has an 8-phase power design compared to the 6-phase reference design, despite "only" having the 8&6 pin power connector config.

We all know the theory but It'll be interesting to see what actual differences these design variations make.

6. Praelia7or

Praelia7or What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure current bridges are limited to the old speed, as a 2 way bridge now uses both SLI connectors rather than just 1.

7. BaronVonDuncs

That is true of the normal SLi bridge but I was referring to the Enthusiast ROG bridge with the LED on it. They attach to both connectors so I wondered what kind of speed they would get if attached to a pair of GTX 1080?

8. BaronVonDuncs

Hmm had a pre-order in for 2 Asus Strix 1080 cards for 3 weeks now. Retailer says the ETA is now back to 1st July. Its getting frustrating that its slow to get the supply going. Any special reason for this? Why is it taking so long to get stock out to UK retailers?

9. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Yup, mine's gone from the 14th to the 17th, to the 24th, and now to the 11th July. Very frustrating as I have no GPU at the moment!

10. BaronVonDuncs

So here we are now a full month later and still no sign of the Asus GPU I ordered and have paid for. This is beyond a joke now. I could accept that Asus are having difficulties and doing their best to resolve it if they would actually communicate that fact and explain what is going on with the production. Did they massively underestimate demand and so production is not keeping up? is production down for other reasons? I guess though they don't want to spook the shareholders but massively letting down and pissing off customers all over the world is going to come back to bite the shareholders eventually so maybe it is better to do something about customer relations.

At this point I have pretty much given up on ever seeing a Strix 1080 OC in the flesh so I will probably switch to another manufacturer.