1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alienware Alpha Steam Machine set for autumn launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

As long as the GPU packs a pretty decent punch it lines up pretty well to current gen consoles!

3. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So... it's a PC with Steam installed. Glad we cleared that one right up.

Hmmm a PC with Steam installed. I think I've got one of those somewhere around here...

4. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I wonder if you can 'bay an Alienware logo sticker-thing? 'Cause then you've got a "Steam machine" too! Correct me if i'm wrong, but the only thing between this "steam machine" and a normal PC with steam is that badge! :hehe:

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Does seem a bit daft to be jumping the gun. As has been mentioned without the controller and SteamOS this is nothing more than a PC.

Have Valve changed their mind ? Last i heard they said they were only going to make the 200 odd Steam Machines they sent out to testers.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

:lol:

Oh Dell, you crack me up.

7. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Well, they are still going to ship SteamOS in the future (source):
    They could, though, offer this without an OS, if they can't wait for the SteamOS to be ready.

Corky42 likes this.
  8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Interesting read Icy EyeG :thumb:
    Surprised to see they are going to use a Custom Nvidia “Maxwell”-based GPU
    I knew AMD made custom GPU's, i didn't know Nvidia made custom GPU's as well.

I'm not sure Microsoft is going to like Dell (Alienware) snubbing Windows in such a way though, openly saying they don't like the direction Windows is heading seems like sticking two fingers up at Microsoft.

9. iggy

iggy Minimodder

congratulations, you have just described all steam machines.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I would like to see those people saying it's just a PC with Steam installed price a PC with similar specs for only $549, £350 odd, the controller and OS would take up almost £100 of that.

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'm interested as to how this "modded" win8 is going to look.. Apparently it has a custom boot sequence, so that you dont see windows AT ALL (unless you close steam) and that most of win boots up after steam apparently? Makes sense if you can go to sign in on steam and select a game while win loads in the background..

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

To be honest 8.1 on an SSD takes between 10 and 15 seconds to boot to the desktop (at least on my rigs), so I'd be happy to keep things as they are.

Corky, most OEMs could build a PC with those specs for a similar price - remember they get their parts for peanuts, and they make barely any profit on the units they sell. However, for £100 more you or I could build a much better rig that was fully upgradeable.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea most OEM can build one for that price, in fact CyberPower recently announced they are doing the same as Alienware, their Steam Machine is going to come with 8.1 installed instead of SteamOS, they also say it will be fully upgradable.

They claim it will be $50 more than the Alienware one, but that is still a darn site cheaper than us normal folks could build one, if they are willing to sell gaming PCs for the living room at almost cost prices then I'm happy that their cost savings are being passed on to the consumer.

14. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Makes you wonder.. These things may take over some of the ITX market (EG those that dont WC or want ODD's)