1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 to Windows 10 questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr Meltdown, 11 Dec 2015.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I have Windows 7 Ultimate on my rig and it's nagging me to upgrade to Windows 10.

First thing to say is that I am annoyed that I would only get Windows 10 Pro same as my laptop which has Windows 7 pro on it.

Otherwise I'd like to know is it an "upgrade" or a full retail version that i can fresh install assuming i have the media and key later on if the need arises? or add change the hardware without it messing up activation? i.e do i get a product key i can actually use with it?

I havent allowed the install even on my laptop yet as it is just too much hassle the thought of losing all my site passwords and cookies etc, can someone tell me if that happens or not?

Is it worth the upgrade or should i just leave well alone?

Cheers,

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

M$ say's it's a like for like upgrade so depending on what you already have re the win7 you will get the same version of win 10, after upgrading you can make a fresh install disk/ usb so you can do a fresh install

some have many haven't Parge did

No I don't think you do loose them

Got the same dilemma myself

Last edited: 11 Dec 2015
  3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

AFAIK there is no W10 Ultimate edition.

For what it's worth, my 8.1->10 install went almost without a hitch, just had to reinstall GPU drivers. No data was lost.

4. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Thanks, i'll let the laptop upgrade to 10 first and see how that goes.

I was considering selling my W7 ultimate and moving to linux, but gaming still isnt straightforward on that and i'm addicted to FO4 at the mo.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

windows 10 has home , pro, and enterprise, you cant buy enterprise as an end user.

6. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Just gone to 10 on my laptop which had w7 home premium not pro (as i said above), on it so i got windows 10 home.

Slow as **** would be my description. loading time is about 2x windows 7, loading chrome browser is at least double too. It may be doing stuff in the background i suppose as it's on its first few boots, but i have restarted it now about 6 times to get the synaptic trackpad drivers on it for the scrolling options.

if it doesnt improve It will be going back to 7. i3 with 8gb ram, i thought W10 was being touted as faster?

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Meltdown - that doesn't sound like the install went well - have you checked there's nothing running in the background eating all the cpu/ram (process explorer https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx will be able to show you what's actually going on - far better than task manager)

Maybe try a clean install too?

8. GMC

GMC Minimodder

I had no problems with my desktop rig from 7 a while back, but when I upgraded my laptop last week it screwed eset smart security. Had to get eset on the line and manually replace some files. That laptop was built to 8.1 pro, downgraded to 7, then upgraded to 10.
    Removed eset from my htpc before upgrading that from 7 and that one went fine.

Speed should settle after a little while, it has a bit of search indexing and suchlike to get done.

You don't get a product key. If you use a tool to retrieve it, you'll get a generic one. Try it and then enter the key into Google if you're unconvinced.

You can download the install media and do a fresh install after upgrade, it should self authorise if you don't swap out the mobo as I believe the authorisation is tied to the hardware that way.

Edit: I kept these links for reference so thought I'd put them here in case of use to others
    http://bgr.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-upgrade-installation-settings/

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Last edited: 12 Dec 2015
  9. rollo

rollo Modder

Had Windows 10 since launch as a free upgrade from 7. Got no complaints.

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So Microsoft told me. :lol:

11. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

This is the free upgrade, not sure what your point is.

I like it so far, maybe they should not have been using speed as the selling point and managed expectations...

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I was being sarcastic, with all the talk of Windows 10's data acquisition i was implying that Microsoft probably knows rollo had no complaints.

13. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

So on my main rig then with W7 ultimate on it, if I download the upgrade and let it do its' thing, then later if / when i want to fresh install on new hardware I install a w10 Pro iso and activate using my W7 ultimate key is that right?

14. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Kind of. Assuming you make no hardware changes you won't need a key at all, it'll just authorise with a Microsoft server.

15. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Just finished rolling back to windows 8.1 on my tablet. Windows 10 upgrade was nothing but painful and when I finally got it wifi didn't work, Office had completely disappeared and OneNote is loathsome. I fought for over an hour hoping it was just a bad first impression but got nowhere so just rolling back now.
    Laptop was going to be next but the thought of trying to sort AMD switchable graphics on windows 10 with all the headaches it gave me on Windows 7 isn't in anyway appealing. In all honesty I can't think of a reason I "need" to upgrade to windows 10. I might upgrade the desktop but again graphics drivers worry me (using a GTX460) and again I can't really see a dying need to upgrade to Windows 10.

16. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

LOL, just started the upgrade on my main rig now!

is the rollback to previous windows easily done if it doesnt work out so well with w10?

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Apparently it's easy to roll back, although comically if you do Microsoft will start offering the upgrade to Windows 10 again. :)

18. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

I'm liking it so far, chrome is still notably slower on my laptop though.

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

God, this win10 upgrade nag is outrageous. Uninstall the update and it comes back. Go away!

20. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

They want you to move to their latest OS as it's got more security mitigations in it.. and it means they can transition most people away from Win7 over the next year.. so they don't end up with the cliff they had with XP.