1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Just five Windows 8 ARM devices at launch, say sources

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 20 Mar 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Fruitloaf

Fruitloaf Tinkerer

Really this news has become less and less interesting all the time. What I would really love is a multifunctional tablet like the Transformer. Stick it in the dock and you can do useful multitasking work and when you don't need it leave the dock at home/in your bag and you have a good touch friendly tablet.

WoA might do the later but well so does Android and Apple and they have way more apps than MS.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The only reason Windows 8 will support ARM is so it's a valid tablet OS option. Microsoft aren't interested in ARM powered laptops or desktops or anything, which is why they're locking out other operating systems being installed.

4. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure that should be 'pairing' and not 'paring'
    4th paragraph.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie - fixed, ta.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Not so much WARM as tepid.

7. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Win 8 is the first OS I dont think Ill be installing. Sure if I buy a tablet or slate, but the non touch interface is non existent, hostile even.

Cant see Business being happy that all their corporate PCs (without touch) will require staff to go on a 'how to do everything you are used to in Win 95/98/2000/XP/Vista/7'!! Really hope that the normal Win 8 Desktop, control panel are updated before released (or should that be regressed).

8. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Won't be using it, I like running my apps in a window thank you very much. Nothing wrong with 7

9. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

it'll be like linux then, only without the community and open source software.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I think 5 ARM devices with Windows 8 for an October 2012 release is pretty good considering the "Windows on ARM" release is slated for early 2013.

Sadly, for me Windows 8 is a complete non-starter unless Microsoft changes its mind and makes the Metro UX optional on the desktop. Which we all know won't happen...

11. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Yup. Same here. Nothing wrong with Windows 7, plenty wrong with 8.

Tags: Edit