1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Build For Mum

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrewbarke, 17 Jun 2012.

1. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

Afternoon, after my earlier post about a dead computer, ive resigned myself to the fact it is well and truely dead, so now mum needs a new one:

Budget: As Little as possible, around the £300 mark

Main uses of intended build: Checking email and web surfing, oh and playing spider solitare

Parts required: CPU, M.Board, RAM, PSU & GPU (or would onboard be ok?). No need for a HDD since that appears ok same with DVD drive and case

Previous build information (list details of parts): already got the HDD, DVD, and Case.

Monitor resolution: cant remember the exact resolution, but its a 19 inch

Storage requirements: None, already got HDD

will you be overclocking: no

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers): NOPE

Have just quickly got these together:
    PSU: LN38345
    CPU: LN36724
    M.Board: LN43271
    RAM:LN32202
    GPU: LN42922

That comes to £310 with delivery, but that would be free thanks to bit-tech so bang on £300.

hopefully you wounderfull people will come up with something since i dont really know where to start with the budget end, if she wanted an i7 gaming rig then no problem, but with a budget one????

Last edited: 17 Jun 2012
  2. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

3. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

As suggested by samkiller42, that's really all you need for a basic PC!

Also get a nice small case for the budget.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Also the selected GPU is just as fast as Intel integrated solution. Look for something faster than a GT 520, if I am not mistaken.

5. andrewbarke

andrewbarke What's a Dremel?

cheers for the replies, never thought of AMD and to be honest dont know a thing about AMD products, was looking for something in line with the core 2 duo range, which this will replace!

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

The Llano chips are just as fast as a c2d if not faster and the inbuilt graphics are far superior to any intel intergrated graphics. Remember, just because intel has almost the whole market on enthusiast products, doesn't mean they do for budget ones.

I think the build above is a good simple build for basic tasks. The graphics chip is even capable of playing modern games on low to mid settings. IF you need a tiny bit of extra power for some reason, the tri-core is only a few quid more, although you probably won't see much extra performance on day to day tasks.

7. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

If you were wanting to stick with Intel, I'd recommend the Pentium G620. Custom PC tend to use that in a lot of their budget builds, and technically it's a Sandy Bridge CPU :thumb: That would provide enough grunt for standard usage. I'd think you would be fine with integrated graphics as well. Hope this helps!