1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 28 Jun 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is available for pre order.

Its a 7" but seriously nice specs for the money. I predict a sell out.

SCREEN
    7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
    Back-lit IPS display
    Scratch-resistant Corning glass
    1.2MP front-facing camera
    SIZE
    198.5 x 120 x 10.45mm
    WEIGHT
    340g
    WIRELESS
    WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth
    MEMORY
    8 GB internal storage
    1 GB RAM
    USB
    Micro USB
    BATTERY
    4325 mAh (Up to 8 hours of active use)
    OS
    Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
    CPU
    Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
    FEATURES
    Microphone
    NFC (Android Beam)
    Accelerometer
    GPS
    Magnetometer
    Gyroscope

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

It looks pretty damn good, and I'm sure Amazon are kicking themselves that they didn't beat Google to market in the UK with the Fire (why oh why is that US only?).

My only concern is storage. 8GB or 16GB? Seriously? You can't even expand with an SD card? Oh dear. I find 32GB in tablets to be a sweet spot, particularly if video gets involved...which is one of the entire reasons to have a tablet.

However, £159 is a good price, and borderline impulse buy.

3. Parge

There is also a 16GB one available for £199 which is still half the cost of an iPad. I expect version 2 will have 16 and 32GB capacities at the same price point as the cost of NAND decreases.

Screen looks great, IPS, 720p, 226DPI (iPad3 is 264) and as an owner of a HP Touchpad I'd say that 7" might be a better form factor as I find 10" is slightly too large to hold up for long periods of time.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I did mention 16GB! Just wish a 32GB model was available now for £249, or it had an SD slot for expansion. Bar that, it looks good.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I'll try to ignore the obvious innuendo gag there parge!

As a massive android fan I find the lack of micro sd card a huge oversight on this device. Otherwise it is spot on IMO.

6. Parge

.....and I can't get 10" down my throat. There. I did it. :hehe:

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

oh feck, don't say its that cheap. I've stayed out of the tablet market this long only to start looking for something decent to dash mount in my car for GPS and media playback and now this pops up.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A quality Asus tablet for £159,--? Market changer.

And a good move. By doing this, Google will be able to penetrate (there, more innuendo!) the market quickly, establish Android as a widespread alternative to iPad and then follow up with bigger and more expensive devices.

Does anyone else think that the Nexus Q looks like something out of Portal?

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

+1

My Dell Streak 5" is up for renewal soon and whilst I have also avoided tablets like the plague I may just have to bite and pick up a normal sized smartphone + one of these :grr:

Either that or one of those hideously overpriced novelty lights made by Mathmos.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

awesome price. awesome hardware. awesome upgrade support being Nexus. :D

although, as always, not sure about the size and aspect ratio. but at least it's slightly better than those 16:9 letterbox tablets out there.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Who knows when will they show up in retail in countries outside the initial launch, let's hope it will be like Galaxy Nexus, which arrived about month later than it started to be sold elsewhere (released November 17, 2011; i received mine from the first batch on December 16, 2011).

But seriously, why can't Google start selling their stuff in whole EU, if they are selling it in UK, DE, FR ? It's not like there is any difference between Germany and Slovakia for example in package contents - both countries use Schuko sockets, so pretty much the only difference is the language of the manual.

And i was thinking EU is a "single market" :).

12. Parge

Sure, but launching a product is not just about putting it on the shelves.

To be a successful in a territory you have to hire an advertising agency to buy TV airtime, a Creative to make an ad, newspaper space, plus a PR company to launch it in that region. Make sure your support service can speak Slovakian (or Ukrainian etc etc), pass Government safety checks, hire lawyers to make sure your not violating localised IP, then convince local retailers to stock it, or perhaps sign distribution contracts to get the product sent out, or agree a deal with a courier to get it safely delivered.

You start in the markets where you can make the most money, or where you have that infrastructure already in place, then move on to the smaller markets. It's just how things work.

13. Parge

Back on topic, my rents are buying one..... they are going to be cooler than me for once.

14. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

It looks great and all but 8/16gb and no expansion slot?

Wuh?

15. rollo

rollo Modder

8/16gb max space on a tablet ?

wheres the expansion slot its andriod ( should have expansion slots )

personally think 7inch is too small but if your not watching films and videos ( main use of a tablet next to games ) then maybe it will be ok.

16. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In UK & such markets maybe. But :
    1) ads - good joke, manufacturers of various electronics have pretty much zero ads in our media. You get ads from various shops about various electronics at sale right now, but that is about it. Ads like in US are pretty much non-existing.
    2) support - again, the only support you get for pretty much any product is - warranty service and from shops selling them. Phone support ? LOL.
    3) Government safety checks - single european market, hello ? The only difference between UK, French, German and Slovak market in safety regulations is the power socket connector of the charger. WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC,... - all these are AFAIK harmonized on EU level.
    4) localised IP - this one could probably delay it a bit, but in reality chance of this happening with such generic device is just impossible. Previous Nexus devices are already on sale, so name conflict is impossible. Patent conflicts or other conflicts due technology are again impossible - other Tegra tablets are selling without any issues etc etc.
    5) convice local retailers - now this is a good joke. It is usually other way around - shops have items in preorder status long time before first batches arrive.
    6) bigger markets - well, i don't have an issue with that. What i have issue with is that they just simply refuse to sell you the device. What is the issue of me ordering it from UK or Germany ? Slovakia is part of EU, so again, back to the single market thing.

@Zinfandel, rollo: living under rock ? Haven't you seen Galaxy Nexus without SD card slot yet ? Google is pushing you to "cloud". Play music and videos from Google play etc etc.

17. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Yes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn3yEXywIaM

But the Nexus 7 looks really good for the money. I think I'll wait til I get the OTA update to Jelly Bean on my Nexus S and then see what I think. I've already had a quick play about with JB on the SDK emulator and it seems faster than ICS, but pretty similar overall.

Also, I have a PlayBook already so I don't really need another 7" tablet. But hey, us Bit techers don't let that stop us with new tech :p

GravitySmacked likes this.
  18. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

This is exactly my issue right now. Stayed out for long enough, almost imported a kindle fire and now so glad I didn't. I will be toying the idea of ordering one tomorrow (payday), probably going for the 8gb. And to think I was toying with buying an hp micro server this month! Maybe next month.

19. suragh

suragh Derp

For £150 :jawdrop:, a quad core gorilla glass tablet and no expansion slot, I really don't think anyone will care. :)

Google are gonna #@!$ off their partners hardcore. :lol:

20. Parge

Agreed, and also with Faugaustin about pushing people to the cloud. I'm hoping Amazon release a Cloud Music app for Android in the UK as they have in the US.

Also, 16GB is enough for about a whole season of shows in SD + Apps and OS and still have 10Gb left over. Fine by me. In any case you can get Tablets with MicroSD slots, you just have to pay more for them, which seems fair enough.

Unfortunately Googles partners have made great tablets specced and priced them wrong. Don't go head to head with Apple on luxury items because you'll lose. Make, less well specced tablets, at a reasonable price point - which is what Google have done here.