1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays NEC 26" IPS Monitor for £100 too good to be true? Evidently not!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LennyRhys, 31 May 2013.

1. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So... I came across a couple of NEC 26" monitors on ebay and hoped they'd go cheap, but they didn't - one went for £265 and the other for £275. All things considered, they retail near enough £1,000 so the price wasn't bad at all.

So I put in an impulsive search for 25.5 monitor and found a bulk listing of five NEC 26-inch "medical" monitors for £450. Curious, I did a product search as I'd never heard of these monitors before, and I found that NEC do a series of monitors which are specifically targeted for the medical market, and they have the designation MD (or MDView). Long story short, they are essentially rebadged units from their other professional product lines, which means they will have the same ultra high quality CCFL-backlit, wide-gamut H-IPS goodness.

I asked the ebay seller if he would be willing to split the listing and sell me just one monitor, and he did - for £100 plus £15 for delivery - and now it is on my desk.

The picture quality utterly destroys my Dell 2007WFP (also IPS), and the OSD confirms that this is in fact a NEC Multisync LCD2690WUXi which has a now-rare incarnation of IPS that uses an A-TW polarizer to reduce black glow. Furthermore, this model retailed at £800-ish only a few years ago. My one is dated 2010. What a find!

Is anybody interested? As for trusting the seller - the company I bought the monitor from is a highly reputed and successful asset resale business. :thumb:

Sorry for the crap pics... compact camera in low light.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Jun 2013
    Atomic, Big Elf and Ljs like this.
  2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Yeah, I'm interested.

3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

The MDview monitors are arguably even more expensive. Sign me up!

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Amazing deal dude. I can't believe they sold it for so little. I don't think the seller knew the true value of the monitor.

Yes, so what you have on your desk is a high-end professional grade monitor. The problem now, is that if this monitor breaks... good luck at finding something equal :)
    Medical purposes monitor cost more, but depending on their usage they have specifc features. For example, surgery targeted medical monitors, comes pre-color calibrated, but like the super best calibration ever done with super expensive color calibrator, and of course the monitor itself is designed to take advantage of all that. This is needed, so that when the surgeon passes a camera in someone, if he sees red instead of pink... it could mean a hole world of different thing, and could lead to wrong diagnostic. Also, warranty. These monitors usually have 6+ years warranty, with full service, where you have a company technician come, and replace the monitor the next business day. And no refurbished given.

Hence, why the premium price over the premium price professional grade monitor, on these medical purpose monitors.

And yes, A-TW polarize panel is a killer feature.

Congrats on your purchase! (but now you are cursed, as I mentioned, :p)

LennyRhys likes this.
  5. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

that's a ridiculous deal

if the seller wasn't confirmed legit i would say probably stolen goods

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I'd snap one up, but I simply don't have the space. :(

7. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

i up for 1, its the best story every is like finding gold at the end off a rainbow!!!
    i feel like a little girl
    :hehe:

8. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

1920 x 1200 pixels) shame is not 1400!!

9. Cozmo87

Cozmo87 "huh hurmm!!!"

just got one !!!

10. Big Elf

Can someone give me the link? I can't find them.

11. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

I could certainly be tempted if there are any left.

Could you ping me a link?

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The seller is called GARC (Global Asset Resale Company) - I found the monitors in this ebay listing (it's now ended, so you'll have to log in to ebay to view it).

After some ebay correspondence I was instructed to make and pay for my order over the phone - you can get the number on the GARC website, and ask for Kenny.

I assume you should just ask if he can sell you an MDView 262 for £100!

Funny thing is, these monitors are also listed on GARC Medical for £350 apiece, so I really don't know what your best approach would be. The ebay ones were listed as refurbished, but they sure don't look it!

PS. as for resolution, you really won't notice it. I find the dot pitch of 27" QHD monitors too small, and whilst these 25.5" monitors at 1920x1200 aren't exactly high res, I think the size and aspect ratio of 16:10 is win/win. :thumb:

PPS. I didn't want to share this until I had a monitor in my possession and could confirm that this isn't some sort of scam - really, to get a monitor of this caliber for £100 is too good to be true. It just is. As Goodbytes said, it must be cursed or something LOL. :D

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  14. Big Elf

Thanks. Got one ordered. Phone Kenny on 0161 865 1925. As at 09:26 there were 9 left. He said they're unused but the boxes have been opened.

15. narwen

narwen narwen

Just brought one. :thumb::D

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Nice deal! I really can't afford to be getting one at the moment now though. :(

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Oh man that is tempted, can they go vertical?

18. Big Elf

According to the reviews, yes but you need to manually adjust the on-screen orientation.

19. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Grey imported?

Even if so, nice find. I'm all for giving stuff away cheap, especially on here but that's ridiculous!

20. Tomhyde1986

Tomhyde1986 What's a Dremel?

Just nabbed myself one of these.

New monitor at last! Today is a good day.