1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Game compatibility issues in win 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by CrapBag, 12 Apr 2014.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have just updated my mothers pc to win 7 from XP primarily because of MS dropping support.

Everything is fine and it's made an old pc fairly nippy (updated her cpu and ram as well) but two of her favourite games don't work so shes not going to be happy.

The games in question are scrabble 2005 and boggle, I have tried all the compatibility modes ect and googled but not found a solution.

Scrabble will run but once you go into a game the board, tiles and racks aren't displayed, I remember this happening before and you changed a setting from opengl to direct3d but this doesn't work now.

Any ideas what else I could try, its home premium so no XP mode :(

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Odd, I'm sure Scrabble works on our Family PC, and I know it was on the laptop too, which was also running Win 7.

Or maybe I had to buy a newer copy for her. I'll take a look and see what version she's got.

Yeah, she's got Scrabble 2007, I think I must have bought that for her when 2005 didn't work after I upgraded the PC to 7.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Hmm that's interesting, I see that there's a 2009 version as well.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried running it as administrator?

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh but no dice :(

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

is win 7 32 or 64 bit?

if it's 64 bit, have you tried installing to another folder rather than program files (x86) ?

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It is 64bit yes, I will try installing to another folder tomorrow thanks for the idea.

Boggle won't install stating it's not compatible with 64 bit so I think that one is a dead end.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

just a thought, it's been a while, but can you instal xp mode on the version of windows you have , that may be a way around the boggle problem as well, or use a win xp vm.

Last edited: 13 Apr 2014
  9. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

My mum started moaning about the newer one, saying that it made up words, :D She'd still beat it though. I seem to remember reading reviews on the different versions before I bought the new one, I think possibly the 2009 one had a number of flaws/problems, but can't be sure as it was a few years ago.

Got her Scrabble on her tablet now, but it's got constant adverts on it, 30 second advert pretty much every turn.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I the tablet one, I'd happily pay a sensible amount of money to be able to play without adverts or an internet connection.

I've (cough cough) downloaded 2009 and it seems to work fine, it's like £20+ and didn't want to risk buying it if it didn't work. I'll keep my eye open for a cheap legit copy now.

11. Phenic

Phenic What's a Dremel?

Might like the popcap game 'bookworm' is she likes word stuff.

Edit: Is it Boggle renamed? Not sure.

12. gravgen3rd

gravgen3rd What's a Dremel?

I miss those games when you just sit and think.