1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics CD-ROM pinout?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Altron, 25 Feb 2004.

1. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I was lookign at the IDE pinouts. I am trying to find a way to add buttons to a CD-ROM for Play, Stop, Foreward, and Back.

IS there an easy way to do this (i.e. connecting two pins) or a hard way (microcontroller)?

2. nleahcim

nleahcim What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately - no it's not that easy. Here's the pinout for ya: http://technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconhdd_ata_int

I do believe there's some projects that can be found around the web that have done what you are looking to do.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I suppose it must be a digital signal then... :(

Digital: Sometimes you love it, sometimes you hate it.

4. Lynx

Lynx What's a Dremel?

The eject function I beleive is implemented in the ATAPI protocal used by CDROM drives. Have fun working that one out. YOu will need a microcontroller that has an IDE interface on as it is going to have to be protocal layer stuff not just sending a byte code down.

5. coorz

coorz Miffed

Don't think it would be possible with the IDE pins. You might try it from the PCB. Many cdroms have play, skip already implemented (switch holes in the PCB) but no swtches inserted.

6. Altron

Altron Minimodder

I'll try and find the solder points inside the CD-ROM.