1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News EA's Origin hit by remote code execution flaw

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Naturally they will patch this issue out, which will almost certainly break my Origin install. That is what usually happens when Origin updates, and what led me to cracking ME3 just so I could play it without issue... Although every time I start a new game I have to replace the legit .exe and give Origin permission to access the internet again so it can authenticate my DLC. Pah..I hate that bloody thing.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Strange I never had any issues with my Origin install apart from when I ran a beta version.

Have nothing but issues though with Steam constantly loading with no connection until I restart it.

Anyway EA will probably fix this pretty soon.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

As much as i hate origin its been fine never had any issues, same with steam.

People make a big hubu over nothing 90% of the time

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I've had the occasional hiccup with Steam too, but I've found it to be far more reliable. Origin on the other hand seems to break every other update, necessitating me having to re-download and re-install it. Most frustrating when all you want to do is a play a game.

Thankfully all the other games I have on there don't require me to use Origin at all.

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Steam generally takes a long time to load, but it gets exponentially slower if you're downloading something else. While anything can load slower when you're multitasking your internet bandwidth, I've found Steam will often just stop trying to connect if I'm downloading something else. If you want to run Steam, I've found its usually best to just sit and wait until it logs you in.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That's the problem it doesn't log in unless I manually restart it.

Steam and Origin both load on boot, and my net connection is active as soon as Windows loads so there should be no issues and there wasn't till the last 2 updates for Steam hit and now it just sits there with, no connection.

I also get random disconnects from Steam meaning I loose connection to the Call Of Duty servers for the likes of MW2/3, Black Op's and Black Op's 2 and then it reconnects after a few seconds even though my internet is still up and has nothing wrong with it.

I have none of that trouble with Origin not to mention I get my full download speed from Origin unyet Steam only let's me download at 30Mb instead of 100Mb.

I always hear people saying Origin is crap etc but, I have never once really had any issues with it other than when trying a beta version of it unyet Steam I constantly have issues with.

This happens on a fresh install of Windows 7 as well, but I cannot try it with Windows 8 because allot of the games I play just won't load on Windows 8 and my motherboard which is supposed to be Windows 8 supported, won't install any of the drivers and the graphics drivers won't install but that's just Windows 8 for you.

As soon as I can stop using Steam I will but until then I have no choice but to use it, because of some of the games I choose to play and if those games were available on Origin I would buy them on there instead of Steam.

8. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

Apart from the fact is slow to load-up, slow to update, its yet another program for games without actually owning it and that all their newer titles like simcity can potentially be switched off so your paying to rent the game only in a certain timeframe, its server connections are never 100% and the fact that you cant just buy it for any other platform like Steam either. I dont know, maybe not 90% is nothing ;)

9. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

While that may be generally true ..it has little bearing on this thread.

^^not exactly nothing

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

I guess your on virgin then

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Yes I am, because if I was on any other provider I would only be able to get 4Mb where I live and when Infinity is available in my area I will only be able to receive around the 30Mb mark.

12. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I believe that would be the 10%.