1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Z77 vs P67

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gcwebbyuk, 11 Sep 2012.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I currently have a P67 Sabertooth which is working nicely (stable 4.6GHz OC on an i2600k - it does go higher but 4.6 seems quick enough).

Would upgrading to one of the Z77 boards give me any improvements in graphic speeds or SATA speeds?

I don't seem to be able to find any direct comparisons using the same GPU or SSD for benchmark comparisons.

Are the SATA3 controllers on the Z77 boards any quicker?

Are the graphics abilities improved (GTX 670)?

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Well I can honestly say SATA3 speeds are no faster but are certainly more stable (non Intel) since they no longer use the flaky Marvell controllers.

Couldn't comment on GPU speeds as like you I have a 2600K and they don't support PCIe3 even on a Z77 board.

Lastly you have what is probably the finest P67 board ever manufactured (I had one to lol), I only changed as I was downsizing to MITX :thumb:

Hope that helps some...

3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Unless you are going to go ivy it's more like bug fixes and some speed enhancements. With ivy you get better power ratios and speed, & PCI-e 3 but it will only help with a new GPU.

Although the Z77 does seem more solid.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

4. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Not worth the cost. If you were downsizing or upsizing then it would be a good opportunity to buy z77, but just swapping it for the sake of it? Don't bother. I have a P8P67 Evo and the only reason I am considering changing is because my 800D case is MASSIVE and I want a smaller rig.

But for what I would get for the motherboard if i sold it I would just keep it as a spare.

5. RocketPotato

RocketPotato What's a Dremel?

To be honest it is not worth the upgrade, it is mostly theoretical performance increases you get, in real world testing though its almost non-existent.

6. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Being asking myself the same question. I have ordered the Sabertooth Z77 and let you know. Will keep the P67 as a spare

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I love my p67 sabertooth. In fact i like it so much that i didnt bother upgrading it when i re did my whole rig. I dobhave the mosfets under water now tho

8. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

You won't see any performance gain Mark, trust me on that one; you've already got what is the finest P67 board ever produced :) :thumb: