1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics SLi and GPU Usage - What are your numbers and are mine normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by knuck, 17 Oct 2010.

1. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Heya

I recently installed a second GTX260 216 in my PC and have no seen much improvement at all. Regardless of the game I play, neither cards are ever really over 50% of use.

It's quite frustrating to drop in the 40's (fps) when both cards are at 25%, especially in a game like TF2 ... I should be able to run this game without ever dropping bellow 80fps, damn it !

Drivers are up to date. EVGA Enhancement patch is installed. I monitor the cards with EVGA Precision. TF2 is obviously up to date and the game is set to 1680x1050 @ max details, no AA/AF (wish I could).

Is this normal ?

(rig in sig)

2. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

What driver version?

3. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Cannot be normal at all.

Before I purchased my 5770 I checked that when I buy another it will make a difference. Research shows an improvement of between 60-75% on average with some games showing 90% more fps.

Not knowing enough about Nvidia software, have you enabled SLI?

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Not all games like sli or crossfire setups, source games are pretty poor alot of the time

Crysis is the best sli cf benchmark everything else is between 0 and 70-80% improvement, which is why in some games your fps is diving. But sli and crossfire does not double your min fps.

Tf2 is also pretty poor benchmark if your playing 1v1 you willl get 300fps

If your doing 8x8 you may get 50

Should try to use a static benchmark

And also make sure the profile is set to performance mode not quality

Performance mode means both gpus are used for fps
    Quality 1 is physics 1 is performance

5. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

There are lots of people on the Nvidia forums with this problem. I am having the same problem in a small few games with low FPS with SLI enabled and one game is using 100% GPU on both cards with 40FPS and sluggish gameplay. That game plays better with one GPU mode. Almost all my games are 50% GPU with very little FPS boost. Its the same with driver 260.53 , 260.63 and 260.89.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Try the FurMark GPU bench mark that'll give you a much better indication of what the GPU's are capable of also run the CPC bench mark for an overall guide to how well the Pc is performing.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I did run a 3DMark Vantage, which is the ugliest POS I have ever seen btw, and the cards aren't maxed out during this either. They are used at about 70% of their capacity however, which is slightly better

Elton > 258.96

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Silly question, but have to ask; have you attached the Sli bridge on the cards?
    I know, i know, it's silly to ask, but just to rule that out. How about a dud bridge?

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

(thought I had answered to this)

Yes, the bridge is plugged and SLI is enabled. If the bridge was broken, I'm sure SLI wouldn't be possible to enable

10. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

I don't understand the ASUS blur about your board on it's website. It talks about Hybrid SLI, not 'proper' Sli. Hybrid Sli is where the onboard GPU is used to boost the performance of the dedicated GPU, but i don't see any video outputs on that board. Does it have an onboard GPU? If not, why does the site talk about hybrid???

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

SLI works without the bridge albeit with a minor performance penalty. I noticed this by accident when installing my second 460 (I run it when required). I forgot to add the bridge and didn't notice until I went to remove it.

Just Cause 2 and Mafia II (with AA) both showed a massive boost in performance thus confirming SLI was working.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Yes the board supports "regular" SLI. Yes it supports Hybrid SLI. Yes it has an onboard GPU (GeForce 8400) and yes, it has a video output (HDMI) ;)

Oh and Hybrid SLI does nothing at all. I tried

Maybe I should try another bridge then... mmm. I doubt anyone I know has one however

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm, weird. You should be getting a massive performance boost.

Unfortunately I've no helpful advice - although, are your cards identical?

14. knuck

knuck Hate your face

They're both 216 but don't have the same frequencies, which shouldn't be a problem. At least I hope so

TheBlackSwordsMan and I were playing TF2 yesterday and at the same settings he had about the same framerate during fights (I know it's a poor test, but still). He owns a Q6600@3.6 and a 5770

15. bulldogjeff

Try testing both cards individually, pull one out. Just to check that everything is ok, bench mark each one then try them together and bench mark them again, some cards need at least 3 runs in order to take an average score. I know it's a long process, but it'll find if one of the cards is not performing as it should .

16. bulldogjeff

Ah the frequencies!!! What you find is that the faster card will slow itself down to match the slower one, much the same way as RAM will. You'll have to overclock the slower one to match the faster one to get the best out of this combo.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

knuck should still be getting better results even if the frequencies are set to the lowest card though.

18. bulldogjeff

Thats why I suggested benching each card to check them, at least that way we will know if every thing is as it should be. i know what your saying about the performance increase though Pete, should be at least 40-50% minimum.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

yeah I know

Exactly. There is a 12% clock difference (655 & 576), which is a lot, but I should still get much better results than with a single card.

However, unless the tools are limited, both gpu-z and evga precision still show the cards stock frequencies. The faster one wasn't underclocked

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Try a new driver perhaps?

Tags: