1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 11 Oct 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So many decisions: Aliens or Middle Earth?
    It's typical: you wait months for a good game to come out and finally two brilliant games come out at the same time :(

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

This game has taken me by surprise and it looks great. However I'm just going to wait for the game of the year edition.

DLC puts me off buying games on release even though I'm not against the idea. I just think I'll get a more complete experience by waiting.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree with this as I don't think anyone would be missing out on anything if they were to pick up 'Skyrim: Legendary Edition' right now and started playing for the first time. I see the only reason to get a game from launch these days is if you are playing online.

5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The game is excellent...I wouldn't wait!

6. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Orcs and trolls, crafting..no ta, Alien Isolation for me.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Have to say that I am not impressed with Alien: Isolation. Gonna read the review properly later to see if I am missing something... and then I'll comment my reasons on the relevant thread.

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Got this earlier in the week and have been loving it. The nemesis system is a genius concept that makes the whole game so much more organic. It makes it personable and no two play throughs are ever going to be the same. It's a brilliant addition to a genre that was threatening to go stagnant. If anyone who likes any of the arkams or any of the assassins creeds, and is unsure about this one; just do it. It's awesome.

9. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

There's no trolls....

And there's no crafting...

Just sayin'

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This is a great game. The Nemesis system is really quite brilliant - dead simple but adds an extra dimension to the game and also makes everyone's game slightly different and a bit more... personal :D

One thing that I've found out (the hard way) is that the game has a bug (which they're working on fixing) whereby your save game sometimes gets deleted if the game crashes. For that reason, I'd heartily recommend backing up your save games. FYI, the saves are held in Steam\userdata\xxxxxxx\241930\remote.

11. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

been enjoying SoM since release, fantastic game.
    I do find it a tad too easy (so far), which can sometimes ruin the nemesis concept since orcs won't actually progress that much, and you find yourself without any personal vendettas.

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Yeah..that's my only issue...I'm about half way through the game at the moment, and a couple of them are just getting a bit tougher now.

One thing that nobody talks about either, with the nemesis system, is that it also includes Uruk vendetta missions for Uruk Captains that killed other people in your friends list on Steam...so I get the chance to avenge the death of one of my pals in his game for extra Power in my game :)

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

But there are Orcs.
    Just saying.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

The Uruks have quite possibly got the best scripting, animations and voice acting I've possibly ever seen in a game...AND...there are dozens and dozens of "unique" ones - some already as Captains, some as Warchiefs..but many just as regular Uruk grunts (who get promoted to Cpt if they kill you). I've honestly never seen as many NPCs in a game who have been uniquely modeled and given their own identity as I have in this.

The Uruks really make this game.

15. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

In a way i'm disappointed this is getting so many good reviews as it will take a lot longer to come down in price :( Oh well maybe i'll treat my self to this and Alien Isolation at xmas.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It was a coin flip between Alien isolation and this. And I'm a *****, so I got this instead.

Review is spot on, excellent game, good, challenging combat, lots of different sub-systems in play that all make sense. Great game.

17. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I get what you're saying but really?

If you're a gamer you should be pleased that a game which is great fun to play is being released. Wanting it to critically and commercially fail just so you can buy it at knock down is just a bit selfish really.

If everyone took that view the industry would die or all games would be rubbish and not worth the cheaper price.

It's £29.99 on Steam. That's cheap for a brand new game. That's what new PC games cost 5 years ago, 10 years ago. Why be so tight?

18. Spigsy

Spigsy What's a Dremel?

My only regret with this game is it's so violent that I have to wait until the kids are in bed to play it! SoM is a real pleasure to play and the nemesis system is still surprising me after 15 hours of play.

In other news despite the worries about system requirements I find it runs smoothly over a variety of systems. On my 7970m laptop it runs beautifully at 1080p and after a quick play around with settings it's even smooth on my friend's 560ti with a Ph2 955be. From what I can see the GPU memory recommendations for high textures are rather exaggerated, at least at the resolution I'm running.

19. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

I hated it, and yet I loved Arkham City. Maybe I just burned myself out playing that.

20. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

What did you hate (quite a strong word for such a good game) about SoM?

Tags: Add Tags