1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other 3D printed strength

Discussion in 'General' started by dave_c, 18 Mar 2015.

1. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Im thinking of 3D printing a walking stick, just wondering if anyone could tell me if the material is strong enough to support weight in that form. Was thinking of printing it in sections with a screw fitting on each piece so i could connect the pieces after printing. I know you can print in metals like steel at shapeways but im not sure if they are comparable to 'standard' steel.

Thanks for any advice.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Depends on the printing method/material used tbh, thoguh I definitely wouldn't trust my weight to the 3d-printer resin... for metal CNC would probably be better [and cheaper] for a cane imo...

Know a few ppl who do nice carved wooden ones if that kinda thing floats your boat...

3. dave_c

dave_c Minimodder

Yer, if you could point me in their direction would be interested to at least take a look.

Im a 3D artist so the idea of creating my own from scratch was quite appealing :)

4. DrDantastic

DrDantastic What's a Dremel?

As long as you're after a round(ish) cane then getting it turned out of 6061 aluminium, or something similar, is probably you're best bet. It would be easy for a machinist to turn and nice and light. I would offer but there's no way I could squeeze it in at work at the moment! I definitely wouldn't take the 3D printing route, especially if you wanted the pieces to thread together. I've had to 3D print threads and it takes ages!

Edit: Laser sintering would work, but may cost more than you're after!

Last edited: 27 Mar 2015
  5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Lathe would be the best way imo, as for doing it in sections and screwing together I don't think that's a viable way tbh it won't be very strong out of aluminium the joins will be the weak point's

6. DrDantastic

DrDantastic What's a Dremel?

Yes, I should have mentioned that you could do it as a single piece on a lathe. Ally on ally threads aren't an ideal solution.

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Titanium can be 3D printed into structural parts, Charge bikes use 3D print ti dropouts.

As for who can do that in the UK I have no clue, Charge's parts are made by a Taiwanese firm.

A tubular piece of Ti or Steel with a machined/turned Alu head that screws onto the end would be much simpler to make.

Or turn the whole thing from one piece as mentioned above.