1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Removing Google's clutter

Discussion in 'Software' started by Corky42, 31 Dec 2013.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So i have spent the last day or two trying to find ways to declutter some of the things i find most annoying when using Google, but no matter what i have tried i haven't been able to get rid of those damn Google doodles, or the distracting Google+ thumbnails of peoples mug shots.

Can anyone suggest a way to always use the standard Google logo, instead of those damn doodles that seem to be appearing evermore frequently. Or does anyone know how to block the stupid thumbnails on peoples Google+ accounts that show up next to some search results.

I'm using Firefox and already use Greasemonkey with GooglemonkeyR, and have tested some addons and GM scripts but when i tried some like Noscript it also stopped GM scripts from working :grr:
    All i want from a search engine is results displayed in an simple to digest fashion, why do search engines insist on spamming us with so much irrelevant clutter like toolbars, pictures, suggestions and advertising.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC the add-on Stylish lets you replace the google logo with whatever the hell you like...

Corky42 likes this.
  3. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

That's probably what we all want. the rest is try and differentiate their search from others, or make it seem better/more appealing because most users aren't going to search twice and compare the quality of results they get. The rest is to monetise running a search engine so they can buy robotics companies/prop up their income from struggling tablet launches and slowly cover the surface of the planet with datacenters.

It seems to be working for them too, so I'm not sure if it'll change :/

4. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Why don't you just adblock the content you don't want?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Thanks i forgot about Stylish, after trawling through the different ones i found one that replaced the awful doodle. Its just a shame the logo covers up the first part of the search box once on the results page, but i can live with that versus wanting to punch my monitor every time Google thinks we need to be reminded of some event they think is important.
    Yea i did try adblock and got it to block the Google doodle but the side effect was to block the normal Google logo as well, i also tried to get it to block the mug shots of peoples faces that Google thinks we want to see on some search results or even all pictures/images but maybe i didn't try hard enough, or am just to dumb to work out how.