bit-tech.net

Go Back   bit-tech.net Forums > Technology > Software

Old 10th Jul 2011, 14:08   #1
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.
Program to override BIOS control of CPU fan?

I've bought a used Dell D630 laptop, updated the BIOS, striped and cleaned all the components, installed an SSD along with Windows 7 64-bit. It all works fantastically well but I would like to wrangle control of the cooling fan so that I can set my own custom cooling profile. Does anyone know of a good reliable program capable of this?

The fan tends to spin up every now and again but from what I've observed the T7250 Santa Rosa chip runs pretty cool anyway. Ideally the fan should only spin up once it hits 65 degrees, otherwise I'd be quite happy for it to be off at all other times!
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 15:28   #2
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Well, in Windows 7 power options, you can set the fan to Passive, to reduce the fan.

I saw a program to control the fan speed of Dell laptops, but there is no profile system... it's really, you enter yourself the fan speed, and it goes to that speed.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 17:12   #3
KidMod-Southpaw
Super Spamming Saiyan

KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.KidMod-Southpaw is definitely a rep cheat.
Speedfan?
KidMod-Southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 17:40   #4
Blogins
Panda have Guns

Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.Blogins is definitely a rep cheat.
Tried Speedfan but no dice with altering the CPU fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodBytes View Post
Well, in Windows 7 power options, you can set the fan to Passive, to reduce the fan.
I had tried that but it made little difference. However that reminded me of the option to underclock the CPU from 'power options'. I've set it to 75% which reduced the multiplier from 10 to 6 so my 2GHz chip is now running at 1.2GHz. It doesn't allow this in BIOS! Now the fan is only spinning up when the CPU is under stress and the chassis is much cooler.

Also this laptop only came with 1GB of RAM, could the CPU be working harder because of this lack of memory? I'll upgrade to a single 2GB SODIMM first and get another 2GB further down the road. Curious if this could help offload from the CPU however!
|OCZ Vertex 3 120GB (Solid State Drive - Boot)|OCZ Vertex 3 240GB (Solid State Drive - Games)|
Blogins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 18:01   #5
GoodBytes
How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.GoodBytes is the Cheesecake. Relix smiles down upon them.
Not to my knowledge.

Core i7 930 2.8GHz | G.Skill Pi 6GB 1600MHz 7-5-7-24 1.5V | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 | GeForce GTX 260 | W.D Caviar Black 1TB | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-U12P | Xonar Essence STX | Win8 Pro 64-bit | Dell U2410 - 1920x1200 | OCZ Vertex 4 250GB
GoodBytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 18:15   #6
Picky88
Supermodder

Picky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpitPicky88 is almost as Godly as yodasarmpit
Try some other fan utilities, you might find one that can setup a profile for your cpu fan. In speedfan, if you click on configure, and go to options, there is a "enable dell support" tick box. maybe that will help? then tick "automatic fan speed" on the main page, and go through the configure > temperatures settings, and set your "desired" and "warning" values for your cpu temp.

I dont think having less ram will make the cpu work harder, more likely the hard disk will work harder though if you run out of ram, as it will have to use the pagefile instead.
CPU: Core i5-750 @ 3.8Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua DH-14 GPU: Nvidia GTX260 RAM: 8GB of Corsair XMS3 Mobo: Asus P7P55-M Display: Dell 2405FPW @ 1920x1200 Sound: Logitech Z10 Speakers Mouse: Logitech M505 Keyboard: Apple Aluminium USB keyboard
Picky88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jul 2011, 18:23   #7
kol
Supermodder

kol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremelkol has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
argus monitor? its freeware and after 30days will ask you to remove it but just hit "keep evaluating".

i cant remember if it supports profiles as such but it controls the fans when programs and such like speedfan don't work.
Old 12th Jul 2011, 19:22   #8
OCJunkie
OC your Dremel too

OCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the DremelOCJunkie has yet to learn the way of the Dremel
I don't know if any of the usual freware utilities like SpeedFan will be able to do it since it's some proprietary laptop thing...
Gaming: CM 690 II A / XFX Pro850 XXX / GB 990FXA-UD3 / X4 955BE @3.8GHz - Hyper 212+ / 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 / XFX HD 6950 2GB - Twin Turbo Pro / OCZ Agility 3 60GB / WD Black 640GB & Green 1TB / 3x Acer 23in @5760x1080 Eyefinity
Media: Ultra Aluminus / Corsair TX750 / GB MA790X-UD4 / X2 7750BE @3GHz - Freezer64 Pro / 4GB OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 / HD 4670 1GB / WD Blue 320GB + Green 1TB & 1.5TB / Samsung 40in HDTV / Samsung HW-C560S / Harmony 300
OCJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote