1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Scansure

Discussion in 'General' started by rizla4, 23 Jan 2010.

1. rizla4

rizla4 What's a Dremel?

Hello,

I've been using Scan for years, but I'm very unhappy that they put SCANSURE in your basket by default. :wallbash:

To me this is a rip off & reminds me of when shops in town to pressure you in getting extended warranties. Which have now been highlight as rip offs in the majority of cases.

I contacted Scan & the person I spoke to said they made no money on this :eyebrow:
    Why would a business offer/sell something & not make a penny on it?

Bottom line they DON'T give you a refund on SCANSURE even if you phone before receiving the goods.

I for one will be going elsewhere in future.

Does anyone else have comments on this? or am I the only mug that didn't notice this waste of time insurance slipping in my basket!

2. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

its quite clear that they are putting it in your basket its in a rather bold looking area, you should really always double check whats going on when ordering stuff, but i do agree that it shouldnt be defualt.

3. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Erm.....................just unselect it! It takes an extra 2 seconds. They give you the option to remove it by selecting a radio button before it goes to payment details.

4. rizla4

rizla4 What's a Dremel?

LOL, I didn't expect things I hadn't requested to appear in my basket. This is the 1st internet site that I've noticed doing this.

Any other well known sites put extra things in your basket?

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

It doesn't automatically go into your basket.

Its an option at checkout, just like delivery. Its up to you to decide whether you want it.

Don't blame a companies fantastic idea on your incompetence. And anyway, the amount you pay for scansure is negligible to the amount it could save you.
    Scan won't make much money on it. Because you pay a small amount, and you can get the item replaced for free if you damage it, which no other shop will do.

6. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Yeah, if I was going to buy some key hardware, then I'd have no issue with paying an extra few quid to get it replaced in case I cock anything up. I bought my PSU from Scan, and if I could, I'd take SCANSURE out on that for sure.

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I dont get it but I can see how its a good idear for some people

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

The only thing missing here is the pricetag, how much does the Scansure set you back?

Smells like a rant failure so far :D I believe many are willing to pay a little extra for the security - especially the less experienced peeps out there. Those also happen to be the ones least likely to know of any special offers there may be hidden somewhere on the site.

9. okenobi

okenobi What's a Dremel?

I've never taken it. But I can see the appeal to some people. I just uncheck it. That's hardly difficult.

10. Matticus

Matticus ...

I just tested it for you. I put in an i7 920 which was £209, and scansure was £6.29. I know I can put in a cpu, but for a first time self builder it may set them back £20 for scansure on all their items, but if they mess something up they can get it changed instantly. If you get it right, yeah you wasted £20...but get it wrong, that could be £200 down the drain.

I can sort of see what the OP means about it being selected by default. And the option to deselect it is in grey (as are all the currently unselected options), which less than attracts the eye.

But when going through a basket I always check the price, make sure the delivery is what it said it was earlier on and hasn't changed just before I am about to pay, which has happened on a few other sites.

So basically while it might be selected by default, you don't have to keep it. Just read it, use common sense and don't get stung again.

And stop posting the same thing everywhere. You didn't need to start a new thread to say what you said in the thread about scan.

11. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Not a great deal. I was going to buy a motherboard, PSU and CPU cooler from them a while a go and it only came to around £7. It's basically an insurance against stupidity.

12. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

When I built my first pc back in november I payed the extra for scansure. £15 extra ment that I didn't end up wasting £800 by messing it up, well worth it imo.

However if I was only getting 1 or 2 bits then I don't think it's needed. :)

13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I'm assuming you check the contents of your basket before you check out, so what's the problem? Just remove it. If you ended up paying for it, then it's your own fault for not checking the contents of your basket.

It's no more annoying than the "add Yahoo Taskbar" crap when you install programs. Slow down.. read things, and check before you buy. Simple.

Last edited: 23 Jan 2010
  14. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Dell.

15. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

Funny you should mention this, I don't do too well looking at lots of brightly coloured boxes at once, I find it hard to read it all. So because of Scansure by default and my ineptitude, I ended up purchasing Scansure for a Coolermaster Sentinel mouse.

Made me chuckle when I read my invoice!

16. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

I bet if OcUK had a similar system you guys would all be furious :p

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

But they never would because that would mean customer service.

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I'm not particularly annoyed about it, the actual service you are getting does seem to be good value and I know you should always read what you are paying for (as I do).

However, I do think having any optional extra selected by default upon checkout is a bad thing.

It is reminiscent of the tactics use to sell extended warranties and such, even if it isn't the same.

19. rizla4

rizla4 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the posts, I found it interesting reading your replies. (Cerberus90 your facts are wrong ScanSure is on by default now.)

I personally feel that its wrong for additional items to be entered in your basket without requesting them, unless essential i.e. delivery.

Scan are obviously making additional money from this insurance that 99% of the time is useless.
    I think this is bad practice and to discourage other internet site doing the same I will not be buying from Scan again.

20. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

But when you get to the checkout stage, there are 3 options before you checkout the first and clearly labeled 'STEP 1' is whether you wish to have scansure, now if your stupid enough to go through the order process blind, which if you're not seeing that you are. Thats you own fault.

Im no scan fanboy, ive never used them. I find they're nearly always more expensive than the other etailers i use. But they arent hiding anything, it clearly states its in your basket, and the first option you have is to take it out so wheres the problem?

Tags: