1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Fan & RAM help?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zyvisu, 23 May 2011.

1. zyvisu

zyvisu What's a Dremel?

After having built my new pc i am constantly getting a CPU Fan error on start up. I am using a Dark Rock Advanced cooler and it IS plugged into cpu fan on my Asus P8P67 Pro mobo. The cpu (i5-2500k) temp is about 40 degrees & the fan speed is about 600+ rpm according to the bios. Are these readings ok and why does it keep showing an error?

Also i'm using 8gb DDR1600 Corsair Vengeance ram but my pc keeps showing me that its DDR-1333mhz. Why would it be indicating that?

Thanks for your help.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

CPU Fan Error is caused when the designated CPU fan header is not connected to a fan. Go to "hardware monitor" in your BIOS and set the CPU fan speed to "ignored".

Regarding memory, 1600mhz is the advertised (capable) frequency, but 1333MHz will be the frequency that corresponds with your current base clock. No computer will use 1600mhz memory out of the box...it needs to be overclocked/tweaked first.

3. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Pretty much ^^

Also be sure to enable the X.M.P profile on that board otherwise will boot then shut down the boot again.

4. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

This could be an issue with pwm controlling the fan so it is under the default fan warning speed. Although the Silent Wing fan is rated at 1500rpm it can run a lot slower and quieter when the cpu is under reduced load.

Also if the BIOS is showing the fan at 600+rpm it is very close to the default warning speed.

I would check if cpu Q-Fan control is enabled and if yes then drop the fan warning speed to 500rpm or lower
    The info is in the manual BIOS section page 3.24

Last edited: 23 May 2011
  5. snooky32

snooky32 What's a Dremel?

I had same issue with P8P67 and dark rock advanced, as previous post says you just need to reduce the warning speed a little.

Same with memory, just need to change its setting in the ai tweaker section of the EFI.