1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple shows iOS 7 game controller plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. dipzy

dipzy Minimodder

i hope these working with game like, GTA III and vice city as well as real racing and others.

3. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I hope there's a way to charge the phone with the form fitting controller, if you're gaming for extended periods on a phone then you would probably like to play and charge at the same time.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

You're gonna look like a proper tw@t when you're playing your game using the form-fitting version and you get a phone call :/

5. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

That's a bit of a surprise...but welcome news. still, penetration and availability of these things is going to be low so not expecting any quality games to support this for a while.

6. knightyc

knightyc CPC refugee

form fitting = psp

am I the only one sees that?

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

This could finally make FPS games playable on mobile devices. Sure controllers for ios have been out for a while, but if apple have a standard for them in app design, then I assume that it will make it easier for developers to use, and to reassure them that people will use it.

8. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

It's the PSVita not PSP.

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

They'll work with any game that is modified to use the new APIs Apple is adding to iOS 7. They will NOT work with any game that is not modified... not even a little bit.

I disagree. Apple don't mention that adding battery extenders to form fitting controllers is disallowed and therefore it wrong to suggest that Apple will not pass controllers through the MFi scheme if they include an extended battery pack.

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It's actually three types of controller and Apple are not specific on what type of controller can be built for what type of device.

Source: Apple

So according to Apple you can even have a formfitting controller for an iPad not just smaller devices and such controllers can come in normal and extended flavours, differing by the shoulder buttons and analogue sticks.

As a game controller device I expect the 'extended' to be the norm but we may see cases with standard controllers built in too.

And you can use four external controllers with one device. Gaming through an Apple TV anyone?

Oh, you do all know these images are just illustrative of where the buttons should sit on a controller and are not blueprints on what these controllers will actually look like? Of course there will probably be controllers that mirror this layout but the exact config will be up those who build the controllers.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 17 Jun 2013
  11. Paulg1971

Paulg1971 Minimodder

I wonder if Sony will sue them because the buttons and sticks are the same layout, seems to work for apple.

12. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I envisage a future where corporations make profit solely on court battles over patents for non-existent hardware. They won't actually need to produce any hardware... just design something on paper then fight it out in court.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

"Let's create a case with physical buttons on it to put the touchscreen device that fuelled the entire touchscreen device revolution of the past 6 years into"

Mmmmm, no. Not for me thanks.

Tags: Add Tags