1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Combine SSD and HDD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AT0MAC, 8 Mar 2015.

1. AT0MAC

AT0MAC Pirate Captain

I am about to upgrade my computer so it will be a serious gaming machine, instead of the quite boring office rig it is now.

I already have some drives laying around, a Intel 520 series 240GB SSD and a Hitachi 5K3000 3TB I intent to use as OS and data drives.

Is there anything I need to know about how to combine them or is it just as simple as keeping them separated as two drive letters and then point files to either drive depending on were I want to save data?
    What about my Steam library, should it be on the SSD or HDD, the SSD is quite big so there will be enough space for at least a few titles (Im just not sure if it would matter for in game performance)

The machine will be:

eVGA SuperNova 750 Watt G2 PSU
    ASUS Maximus Gene V MB
    Intel i5 3570K CPU
    16GB GSkill RipJawsZ RAM
    Inno3D iChill Hercules Z Ultra Air Boss X4 GTX 970

Everything will be OCed above standart.

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I would install the OS and steam/games on the SSD and then as you say direct all your storage to the HDD.

Having your games on the SSD will definitely help with load times.

3. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

+1

Friend of mine has a newer pc than mine, but no ssd. My loading time of bf4 for example destroys his loading times

4. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Very similar build to mine. (Check my sig)
    It will be even more similar when I get paid on the 20th as I will then be on the hunt for a 3570K.