1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress MSI NIGHTBLADE - CES 2016 pics

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 5 Nov 2015.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Hey everyone, I wanted to create a log about this project.
    MSI Europe asked me to modify one of their Nightblade systems for them. For show purposes. Not for a specific event perse, but just to take it with them when they felt like it :)

Of course I said yes. I was very afraid that the severe lack of space in the case would make it very hard to modify. But along the proces of creating the mod I kept getting more ideas and it became quite a "mod" in the end.

The mod is not about the kick-ass hardware in this specific Nightblade system. This is the previous gen B85 version with a gtx750ti in it. The project is really about the case itself and the complete system breathing the MSI Gaming theme, but then with a twist.

One warning beforehand; the first few photos will show the Nightblade system in untouched form. Not because I am not modding it. But I personally like to show the difference between the "stock" Nightblade and the end result of the project.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I want to thank MSI Europe for the opportunity. Thank you very much for the vote of confidence :clap:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 7 Jan 2016
  2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I first took on the inside of the system and after this worked on the outside of the case.

Like in many other mods I am first taking it apart. The main reason is I want to make it able to show off the inside of the system with a window. You can't see it in the photos but the original system has quite a large CPU cooler that blocks the entire motherboard. I wanted to clean this up by putting in a AIO watercooler. But then I needed room for the radiator. So I took out the top HDD/SSD mount/rack and the HDD/DVD rack as well with the DVD player and the 3,5 inch HDD. I needed space so everything not needed has to go! :dremel:

This way I could see what room I had then and what this meant for my plans.

I also took out the PSU mount as I needed to sleeve the cables later on and also paint the inside from grey to black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Interesting stuff there Hukkel. Never seen inside a Nightblade, and it should be even better once you've worked your magic.
    ITX fix - xheck
    Properly small case - check
    I'm in!

4. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Boo Poo Following..

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

You are one of my heroes when it comes to modding. I absolutely loved your previous mods, so I'm subbing to this one :)

6. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Cool man, enjoy the ride. :clap:

:blush: <3

Wow thank you :)
    That is a big honour.

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

To open up the view into the case and it's hardware I asked Cooler Master their smallest AIO watercooler. The Seidon 120V Version 2. I was very happy to hear from them they would send it. Thank you very much Cooler Master for this and especially Jasper P. :thumb:

[​IMG]

Always great to see a brand helping another brand out to make something cool happen :rock:

Here are some unpacking photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the comparison between the stock CPU cooler and the AIO. On the motherboard will (of course) only be the waterblock and pump. So much more room around it.

[​IMG]

I took the PSU out of the PSU bracket and drilled 4 holes into it.

[​IMG]

The thumbscrew long screws actually have 6/32 threads into the thumbscrew part. Which is super easy in this case! I can just screw together the fan and the radiator. Then screw the PSU bracket against the thumbscrews. Not only is this easier installation, it instantly give the fan room to push the air out of. win + win :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testfitting the cpu cooler. Had to give the block a few tries to see where the tubing would go best without blocking the view too much whist not bending the tubing too hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plenty of room for air to pass through me thinks.

[​IMG]

8. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking good bro, looking forward to seeing the final photos

9. TeofiloDesign

TeofiloDesign What's a Dremel?

I think this project will simply shine.

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is sure to be another great mod. Can't wait to see what else you do.

11. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks James :)

Thank you sir :)

Thank you sir, means a lot.

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Of course I needed to paint the interior completely black. To maximize contrast between black and red. So much grey will just distract and look messy.
    It is not a high end paintjob. It just needs to make the panels blend in.

I also painted the bracked for the CPU block black to make it blend more in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

My good friend Django helped me out again with the drawing of the following 2 covers. One is a grill for over the radiator and one is a cover for over the CPU block and pump. This way I can also illuminate gfx there.

The plexiglas is special kind that changes colour with the light behind it. Put white LED behind it and the entire panel becomes a white glowing plate. I am hoping the dragon will have its outline highlighted with light when I add a few LEDs.

First I apply a layer of white vinyl, then a layer of black vinyl. This way hoping the light will be spread evenly and won't be visible through the vinyl itself.

I cut out the image with a super tiny knife out of both layers. :dremel:

But fiurst off all I bended the edges to make sure the radiator and fan cannot be seen from any side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

This part I was making myself. I bought the Silhouette Cameo not too long ago and wanted to try something with it.

It is basically a backplate for the gfx card. But it also reaches out downwards so the gfx card becomes almost entirely invisible.

I gave it a base layer of transparent red and over this a black layer with gfx cut out of it.
    Then I cut some white letters for on top of it. The Nightblade logo will be illumnated from below.

I cut the bottom left corner from it because the 8 pin EPS cable runs underneath it and on the left side up again towards the motherboard.

I hope you guys like it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

Looking good. Once thing I would suggest is pricking those bubbles with a pin and then rubbing them out completely :)

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I read Vault-Tech's post all wrong.

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I did later on :)

It is my first time using vinyl like this and I still have a lot to learn when using it for big surfaces. Thanks for the tip though :)

Thank you for sharing :D :p

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I went ahead and bent the other plexiglass piece I had lasered.

It is a cover for the CPU block so I can again add an illuminated logo to it.

I used the vinyl to create the logo and added 2 small LED strips to give indirect light to it.

The cover actually clamps to the CPU block/pump now after bending the acrylic.
    I had to take a small bit from the bottom of the cover due to the coolant hoses and a small piece because of the power cable.

Next update I will show the items illuminated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Vault-Tec

Nice that will make it look more like a real water block :)

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion