1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SteamOS, Steam Machine and Controller shown in video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. greypilgers

greypilgers What's a Dremel?

Always Left4Dead2 and Portal2... Don't get me wrong, they're seminal games, but sheeeeeeeet... When are they gonna at least apply a demo of something slightly less, well, ancient?

3. Teknokid

Teknokid Minimodder

I'd love to buy the case and install my own small form factor PC in there, It seems like a really good concept to me

4. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

I really like that case.

5. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

I have some concerns with regards to cooling and temperatures, since there are no vents for GPU and I was not able to check the PSU. The cable management built in plastic it is also no good for cooling.

6. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

I was under the impression that the steambox was going to be using AMD's R9 290, not a 780?

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The gpu sucks air in through a vent below the card and blows it out the rear by the i/o. The power supply cpu and gpu all have their own segregated air flow paths

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Looks fairly decent. I can see room for improvement with the layout, but it's a solid compact start. I'm also wondering whether a btx 'style' cooling setup would be better, as you could have one piece of ducting, one or two channels and cable management and hard drive mounts incorporated.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seeing as its very unlikely that Valve is going to make more than these 300 beta test units i couldn't care less how they are built. What im looking forward to is CES 2014 in January and the Valve developers conference after it, as i think we will be seeing a lot more OEM's showing of what their take on a Steam Machine.

10. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I think Valve would be stupid to not sell a unit of their own as people would buy a Valve model just because it's Valve. There is a plenty big enough market for a few premium paint models and they could charge a ridiculous amount for a 'companion cube' special.
    I'm excited for the future too, but these are a signal of whats to come. Valve will want OEM's to stick to a few key design features. As crap ones will be bad publicity and will tarnish the otherwise great offerings i'm sure we will see.

11. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

I would buy a companion cube for sure! Especially if it was a limited edition SteamBox, first release, from Valve, signed by Gabe and Valve staff.

Your mention of a "few key design features" reminds me of many mentions of the 'SteamBox certification' - whether true or not (unconfirmed) - it makes perfect sense for Valve to maintain control over the hardware specs. A third party console that is SteamBox certified can have elevated customer support over Steam PCs due to having some kind of manageable standards in place. A console without great support would be a nightmare for Valve, the 3rd parties, and the customers.

12. whamio

whamio What's a Dremel?

build your own steam machine, load their os, use the new controller.....what's the problem?

13. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I'm still miffed that the 300 steam boxen ended up being US only in the end...

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem is we cant buy the controller yet. :grr:

Tags: Add Tags