1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Hardrives Dead or Alive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ceryni, 22 Sep 2014.

1. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I was given a job lot of hard drives 300Gb, 500GB, and 1TB drives.
    I need help on an easy way to test them all to see if they're working.
    I really cannot be bothered to stick them in my main rig and fire them up one by one. the only other thing I have is the mATX system in my other thread.

Any way of testing their health without an OS?

2. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Not really, personally I'd use a cheap caddy and just have it open while testing for quicker in and outs

3. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Download the Hirens CD. That has all the relevant HDD manufacturers diagnostics testing tools and more than likely the tools to secure erase them.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, but you can easily boot from a Linux Live CD installed on a USB stick to make use of your spare system. If your box supports hotplug, you're golden: you won't even need to reboot to swap drives. There's a list of Live CDs that include the excellent TestDisk utility here, or you could rely purely on the SMART output via something like 'smartctl --all /dev/sdX' as root. Bosh.

5. MarkVarley

MarkVarley Minimodder

I use an external dock, you can get cheap ones too, for dealing with hard drives usually for data recovery. For testing there are a number of pieces of free software available I use HDtune and I'm sure there is a free version.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

This is a Bad Idea, at least if you're talking about connecting via USB: a USB-connected hard drive cannot transfer SMART information to the host operating system, except in very limited numbers of expensive docks. You could have a million about-to-fail pending sectors, and you'd never know. Either connect them to SATA port or use an eSATA dock; never USB.

7. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

Ok thanks everyone. Really helpful stuff! :D

8. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

If you've got time, boot from a live linux CD/USB_drive and use badblocks on each of them like this:
    badblocks -v -B -w -s /dev/sdX

This will of course wipe it completely and test reads and writes.

Also, like Gareth said, check the SMART details. Look for reallocated sectors and other such errors.

9. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

don't suppose anyone would be interested in these HD's? I have little patience left with this stuff lol

10. biojellywobbles

biojellywobbles Minimodder

I have the USB 3 version of this which works quite well for quick hard drive testing as you can quickly swap them out and check drive health without rebooting.

Edit: How many of them are there? I'm a little interested.

11. bartiszon

bartiszon Minimodder

Here and there are still markets for small HDD's, 320GB might go just for a pint + postage though.

12. ceryni

ceryni Idiot

I'll get a list and pics up asap, as long as it's not an infraction (not yet for sale ;) )

Last edited: 26 Sep 2014