1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Project CARS Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 6 May 2015.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I'm glad this got a review on BT as i've seen it pop up on steam from time to time and wondered if it'd be worth getting.

One question though, is the handling more like forza or more along the lines of one of the simbin racers ? I can handle forza but not the simbin stuff, I normally stick to more arcade like racers

3. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

It definitely leans toward Simbin. But as I say, you can customise the handling pretty extensively. With all driving assists on, you need to be pretty aggressive before the car will come off the track. Playing from third person is also considerably easier than from first.

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Thanks for the reply Rick, it sounds like its worth a try in that case and the graphics look amazing too :)

5. BeeP

BeeP Minimodder

Been hovering between this & the new dirt game, I got dirt but this might be on ze list.

6. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

My favourite thing about this game is actually the sound. Driving an F1 car is just a wall of glorious noise.

Disclaimer: I'm a backer and therefore biased. The above is my opinion :)

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Good review. It's been a while since I invested in a good racing sim and it's about time I did again. How does this one compare to Assetto Corsa?

8. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

I have just pre-loaded this and I have Assetto Corsa and to be frank I hate Assetto Corsa. I play on a 360 pad and I haven't been able to set controls, assists or cars up to a competitive standard, Ive found cars just tend to wallow around, whether it be a Fiat 500 or Maclaren P1 they all just act like they have the softest and tallest suspension setup ever. It just seems rubbish to me and as soon as you say you play on a pad on forums I just get a wall of ''you should play with a wheel and peddles''.

Ive been following P CARS since about 2 weeks after the backer program finished and was so peed off that there was no more chances to get in as a backer, Ive been waiting for ages to get my hands on this game.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I too have long been after a good car racing game. I was put off Assetto Corsa due to a lot of the feedback and ended late one night buying GRID Autosport which kept me entertained for about 3 days. Anyone have any comparison opinions between this and GRID A?

10. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I think part of its issue is that games like this is that its neither arcade enough to satisfy that audience, and not quite sim enough for sim folk either. Its tried to satisfy both, and its at risk of leaving both disappointed.

I spent quite a lot of time playing it during its first year, and then didnt touch it for over a year, and when i tried it around the time they last aborted the release, i did a private online race with a friend and a handful of AI. After qualifying it went to the race grid, the AI drove off, ran into the back of me and each other, and the start lights hadnt even come on, let alone gone out! I think there was about 10 AI, and after 1-3 laps all the AI were crashed out on the start/finish straight (@Snetterton). I dont recall ever having AI issues in previous months/years, but at the same time it really didnt surprise me.

I doubt the online aspect will be strong enough to build a decent community, but it does have a lot of very nice cars modelled to incredible detail, dynamic sun & weather conditions can make for different experiences, and the tracks are as good as anyone elses, graphically its the best racing sim/game on the market. IMO Assetto has a better feel, and instantly felt correct (and i'd never tried any of the Kunos sims to have a bias through familiarity) yet ive played Shift & Shift 2, which is essentially what this builds on - they rebuilt a lot of stuff purely because they didnt own the rights to re-use it, EA did, but they had the source material and time to do it twice.

Having done 6/12/24hr endurance races with teams in another sim, i'd have loved to have experienced that with the dynamic weather & day/night transition, but i think it'll be viewed as a PC solution to Gran Turismo & Forza and enjoyed for the single player side, rather than online.

11. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

I have caved in and bought this, can't wait to try it. Don't understand the hate towards Asseto Corsa though. It takes a while to get it set up perfectly but it is the most glorious driving experience on a PC to date IMO.

12. SchizoFrog

I certainly won't be paying £39.99 for this though... :(

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

All over this as soon as I replace my PC!

14. barny2767

barny2767 What's a Dremel?

Just had a quick go in the tier8 karting championship only did the first 2 races but it was good, karts felt light with really sticky tires, AI was a little easy and seemed to more out the way if you gave them a slight tap but this was on the amateur pre-set and yes it looked stunning.

15. soopahfly

soopahfly Minimodder

£20 at Gamestop!

16. SchizoFrog

So it is, although I'll wait until after the weekend to see what happens with the prices.

17. rollo

rollo Modder

I've done a few time trials and some kart races it's fun to play and looks awesome.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Got it but I feel I've gone off racing games, didn't enjoy it at all.

19. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

just roll a fatty and try again, I had the same off feeling when I tried Assetto Corsa, now I like that game.

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

GTA IV drunk driving is easier :lol: I use an x360 pad, so difficult to drive fast I should have tried a demo before buying.

Tags: Add Tags