1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks NAS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Frohicky1, 5 Apr 2011.

1. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Hi all,

I'm moving house in a couple of months and want to put all my music, videos and piccies on a NAS so that it's backed up and available to my pc, my Desire HD, my dearest darlings Galaxy Tab, and her Galaxy S, all without my power hungry PC having to be on all the time.

I'm after 2 x 2TB of storage, with the second hard disk an exact copy of the first. I don't want to raid them - the second needs to be updated by me, just incase one of us accidentally deletes everything or gets a virus.

The matter is complicated by the variety of prices for network hard disks and enclosures, and the variety in their transfer speeds.

Can anyone recommend a network hard disk (I could buy two of these), or an enclosure, or some stats, to point me towards the best product for my needs?

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Synology does all this and more mate. I own a DS211j and absolutely recommend it. It can be configured in so many ways.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Clicky

Cheap & cheerful. Put 2 of them in separate parts of the house for a bit more redundancy.

4. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I vote for Synology as well. They're a bit pricey, but total worth it in my opinion.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

+1 to Synology NAS

backup is done on the NAS itself, by scheduling or manually.

media sharing for mobile devices can be done by DLNA or UPnP on the NAS, PC can just access shared folder to view the shared contents.

buying a NAS is more about choosing the right web-interface than buying any odd piece of hardware. nothing beats the Synology DSM interface at the moment.

if this media is TV shows, here's how to get a wonderful piece of additional functionality to the NAS: automatic TV show download. http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=27170
    i've done it and it works wonderfully, just check the TV show folder for new episodes next morning.

6. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The Synology DS211j is on Scan's Today Only page right now for £158.39, along with most of their other products as well.

In addition, at the top of the today Only page is a "Super Saver" deal on 2 x 2Tb Samsung HD204UI/Z4, SpinPoint EcoGreen F4EG drives for £107.99. Absolute bargain.

ShakeyJake likes this.
  7. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

8. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

+1 for Synology. Got a 210j about a year ago, best purchase I have made in a long time, very slick interface and worth spending the extra on.

9. Frohicky1

Wow, looks like Synology is the one to go for :) I was looking at the ReadyNas boxes to start with, but their insistence on raid0 or raid1 despite my being a grown educated adult human being. There seem to be some boxes a lot cheaper than the Synology ones, but the throughput is apparently poop.

Think I'll have to let that scan offer go, but I'm sure another will pop up sometime, and if its worth the money, I don't mind paying full price.

How would a synology compare to Saspro's 2 x Iomega solution?

10. Frohicky1

Whoah, the Synology has a proper interface!

11. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I take it you have just tried out the online demo of DSM 3 then? :D Nice isn't it? :thumb:

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

it's a true multi-tasking interface. F11 on your browser and you'd never knew it's a NAS box.

here's how my stuff usually gets around:
    select download links -> Flashgot -> SynoGet to send to download manager -> download overnight -> open DSM -> select extract (on the NAS unit!) and close browser -> come back from work and have whatever i want ready for me.

extract isn't slow, similar speed as PC extract by reading and writing to the NAS, just frees up the PC.

and here's how my TV shows work:
    open Sickbeard -> History -> "woo there's a new episode" -> and go watch it.
    Sickbeard automatically downloads everything TV show for me :D

also, i've got weekly backup scheduled. my configuration is RAID5 volume + single drive volume on my Ds410j. important data is automatically backed up every week to the single drive volume in-case the RAID controller decides to give up.