1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Which Monitor, Dell U2410 or Asus PA246Q?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thetrashcanman, 2 Jul 2011.

?

Which Monitor Dell U2410 or Asus PA246Q?

1. Asus PA246Q

5.3%
  2. Dell U2410

94.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

Help I can't decide! I'm thinking that the Dell may be the better monitor,(I'm waiting for good ol goodbytes to chime in now ;D) but I know I want 3 of whichever monitor I get eventually and will not be able to afford 3 of the Dell monitors, before Dell changes the range, to be basically a massive downgrade, so what should I choose? the Dell and then maybe get two of the asus monitors on either side, or just get 3 asus monitors?

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Dell by like a million

You can always buy a used U2410 monitor on ebay if you can't afford all 3 right away. I'm looking at getting a cheap second monitor or saving up for another U2410 later (I can't decide)

3. thetrashcanman

really why? its not that much better is it, why would you pick the dell over the ASUS? also I'd rather not use ebay for something like that, I'd rather have it new with a warranty, but good idea :)

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Dell. Go back and read my review comments or GoodBytes posts. Experience I had with Asus customer service would not recommend to anyone.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2011
  5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Batman should always listen to Batman. :D

Ok, well. It's quiet simple really.

The ASUS one is a replica of the U2410. I say replica, because it's not actually the same panel. ASUS did a good job at replicating the monitor down to the last drop.. however they failed in replicating the OSD menu. Instead of using the cool nice semi-transparent menu, they went with a ugly looking one that tried to replicate the Dell one. Oh and they added this "ruler" around the screen (you know, in the case you never knew that 99% of image editor can't give you measurement in inches and/or metric system (cm), and added a red stripe.

One thing ASUS completely miss: less inputs. You don't have the second DVI, component and composite, and 2 USB ports on the back (there are only 2 on the side, while the U2410 is 2 on the side and 2 at the bottom/behind the screen)

In addition, the ASUS one uses normal push in button with white visible labels on them, while Dell uses labels (labels appears on screen), touch sensitive control, that light blue when your finger is close to them. Really cool effect to hide the monitor buttons. The power button is a real press button. Don't worry about the blue LED on the Dell, from what I can see on my Dell Latitude E6400, and my U2410 monitor, Dell's knows how to do blue LED's. They are nice and soft.

To be different, as ASUS even replicated the calibration report, with a poorer English (but not bad), they printed the report in landscape mode, instead of portrait mode. Wonderful!

The reality of things, but due to the lack of detailed reviews to my liking, I am going here by technology wise: The Dell monitor is a bit faster than the ASUS one.

At the end of the day, they are essentially the same monitors, but I find that the Dell monitor has a lot more attention to details, than from what I can see from reviews and user comments from the ASUS one.

Also I know that ASUS has horrible (does anyone work there?!) warranty and customer service. Many people here complained about no one picking the phone, and leaving several messages for several days, and not getting a call back. I am not saying that Dell service is as good as Logitech super duper, above & beyond, "we don't care about warranty dates and just want to make you happy", after sale service. But, at least someone is there, and you can get your monitor fixed (well, replaced by a refurbished one - like everyone else), and by having the monitor shipping paid for you (they e-mail you a prepaid shipping to make your life easier). Don't get me wrong, ASUS products aren't bad... they don't have have anywhere good after sale service, and I think, for the price we pay ASUS products, it's not worth it.
    (That is also why I decided to not get an ASUS motherboard, when I build my computer.. maybe in a few additional years, ASUS will be back up.. but so far... no, not at all)

Moreover, I think that the Dell monitor looks far more professional, and as mentioned, has more attention to details. Heck, sorry for spoiling the surprise, but the stand is in freaking metal! DAMN! I never saw this. The black is plastic for sure, but under it it's also metal. The actual arm is metal. It says high quality everywhere. Ok, fine, not super duper high quality... but for the price you pay, and what you get, it's fantastic.

Last edited: 12 Aug 2011
  6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Customer service for one like Goodbytes said

When I first bought my U2410, it had one/a few dead pixel(s). I called dell, after a half hour of the typical level one customer service I was sent to level two where in 5 minutes they overnighted me a new monitor at no cost to me. I then had 2 weeks to send back the old, needless to say, it took a week and a half to send back (I love to U2410 sitting side by side and for free none the less) I printed out a shipping sticker they provided me and the deed was done. New monitor within 2 days (I called late that day) for free

Plus it's just a good monitor, that's why I'm debating on getting a cheap second monitor, which is what I need, or saving/spending more than I should on something that isn't really needed and getting another U2410, which is what I want

7. thetrashcanman

thanks for all the awesome responses chaps, also I does anyone know if you still get Dell's premium panel warranty/service etc if I where to buy the monitor from scan? Just seems to be that Dell always say theres a 3 week shipping wait for there monitors, while SCAN have it in stock now!, and other than buying one second hand, what would people do if they wanted 3? (but can't afford 3 before dell change them) would you buy a dell one now (which is probably what i will do) and then buy 2 of the ASUS monitors? or something else?

8. thetrashcanman

ANYONE? *cheeky bump*

9. GoodBytes

You should, yes (unless of some kind of strange U.K law). Contact Dell to have your monitor fixed under that warranty.

I don't see any shipping wait for the monitor on Dell website. (or maybe I am missing it, or just got removed).

Your picture will vary. But this hold true as well if you order Dell U2410 at separate times. The simple fact, that monitor manufactures uses lamps from different manufactures to meet up demand, this will alter the image, even if you calibrate it.

When I got my U2410, the stand was scratched (box was damaged as well), Dell sent me a new one, and gave be 10 days to return the old one, once I receive the new one.
    I had fun checking the calibration report, and put them side by side on my desk.. wondering how crazy dual screen is with 24inch monitor. One monitor is a hint warmer (only visible on white screen, and compared side by side) than the other. And the calibration report shows that (yellow range lower on the warmer screen, to compensate for the back light).

The only time you can have the same monitor image, is that you order all your monitors in one shot, and hope it's from the same batch.

Oh and there is the normal wear and tear of the monitor to account for.

I think as the ASUS one also comes with pre-calibrated color profile, it will make things much easier.
    Of course, having a color calibrator, will help getting all 3 screens even closer to the correct and same colors.

If the new Dell monitor was still 16:10, then I would have told you, to not worry per say. As there is a chance that Dell uses really high end white LED's, to get the best of white from an LED lamp, PLUS a calibration, should hide the LED downside... but sadly it's going to be 16:9.

If you want an assured setup later on, then you should wait for the new Dell monitor and order all 3 in one shot, and forget about 16:10.

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  10. thetrashcanman

Thanks for the informative post, as ever goodbytes, so if you want 3 monitors you'd just wait till dell change them and get 3 all at once? Would you not think getting one of the dell monitors now, and then maybe 2 of the asus monitors would be better? Just I really would prefer 16:10, and as for the 3 week wait, it could just be the UK site.

11. GoodBytes

Hmmm... It's a real personal question

Ok, I guess the way to see it, is:
    -> Do I reaaallly need 3 monitors? (I am not starting a debate here... this is a question for you. I am perfectly happy with 1, as the resolution is big, I can work with that. But we are all different. My needs isn't the same as yours.) If it's for show-off (no problem with that), it might not be really worth the investment. Already the monitor crushes what a huge amount of people have.

If you do need 3 monitors then:

-> Do you want all 3 monitor the exact same, with the same image, at the sacrifice of 16:10?
    -> Or, 16:10 is more important than anything?

Last edited: 3 Jul 2011
  12. thetrashcanman

Thanks chum, you've given me some good points to think over :)

13. GoodBytes

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Good news. Looks light W-LED is the future for Dell.

15. thetrashcanman

16. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

17. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

Dell U2410 without a doubt.

Have a read of this thread though. Dell are removing it from their product line soon and replacing it with some inferior models, get one whilst you can or you'll be left searching clearance stores and Ebay!

18. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

What if next model better? It has to be! I want faster response time lol