1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Upgrading CPU worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iniquix, 13 Nov 2012.

1. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Hey guys,

I've been looking recently at upgrading my CPU from an i5-2500k (Overclocked at 4.4ghz) to an i7. This stated how much of a performance boost within gaming, "Frapsing" is there to be seen? I appreciate there will be some but is it the worth £500 for the necessary upgrades?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

For gaming only you won't see much, if any, difference - certainly not worth the money. For some other tasks (heavily threaded ones) then you would see an improvement.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

The only real difference would be hyperthreading which doesn't benefit games, you'd be better off upgrading your graphics card. what do you have?

4. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

you might see 1-2 fps difference in gaming but the cpu doesn't impact that much. the only reason to upgrade to the i7 would be if you were running heavily cpu intensive programs which utilize hyperthreading.

if recording on fraps is slowing down your gaming it might be worth looking at more ram. If you could furnish us with your full specs we might be able to help more.

5. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 13 Nov 2012
  6. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

what are your settings in fraps?

7. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

What is your resolution? What games are you running? And why do you want to upgrade?

8. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

9. iniquix

iniquix What's a Dremel?

currently looking to playing Planetside 2, MWO. Resolution is 1920x1080. If people don't think it's a good idea then that's great! saves me the money :)

10. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

You mentioned FRAPS in your original post - are you having problems when running it (FRAPS that is) or was this more of a general question?

11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

2500K and 670 are very well matched items for gaming, niether really hinders the other from doing what it does best, and frankly both are overkill at 1080p anyway (I know, I own all three ;)).

Waste of money imho, wait until you can get a chip with >50% of the performance of your current one, or you start noticing things fully utilising all four cores and slowdown occurring.

12. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

Planetside 2 AFAIK is not graphically intensive and at 1920x1080 the GTX670 will easily push those pixels. The i7 will make no noticeable difference in games with this setup as your i5 wont be bottlenecking the GPU, unless you are multitasking heavily.

If you want to spend some money you could put it in some shiny peripherals. For example monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, headphones etc. But performance wise you will be fine.

13. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Have to agree with Jaybles, you're already sorted! :thumb:

My single GTX 670 kicks at a resolution of 2560 by 1440 so standard HD would not be a problem in any game! The only reason I went GTX 670 SLI was to achieve smooth 60FPS with 'Ultra' settings whilst playing Battlefield 3 at the aforementioned resolution.