1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Skyrim?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Karas, 15 Sep 2011.

1. Karas

Karas What's a Dremel?

What's everyone most excited for in Skyrim? I pre ordered it already and personally I like the idea of unscripted dragons and just how detailed it is. Until it comes out theres no other games for me to play so can someone also give an idea on a nice game that's not to expensive (40 under) And Will there be anymore gameplay content before skyrim comes out?

2. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

I always liked that they are so well put together, but I've always thought the combat was pretty useless. So I am looking forward to it mainly to see how they have improved that. From what I've read, everything sounds like an improvement on Oblivion. A better world with more variety, better ai, better combat, better quests, more voice actors, etc.. But yeah, if I could just get the usual ES game but with some nice updated combat, I'd be happy. My hopes for it aren't that high to be honest, but I still want to try. I have it pre-ordered along with BF3.

3. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Looking forward to this - I pre-ordered on Amazon as it is cheaper than Steam and as it's a Steamwoks game it will be the same as ordering via Steam.

I just hope it is not another Dragon Age 2 - what a let-down that was!

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

5. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Don't get me started on this game seriously, everytime I hear Skyrim I cream myself.

6. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

dammit now I have to change pants again, with both BF3 and Skyrim I'm going through my drawer in a flash

7. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

With Dark Souls coming out on Oct 4th and Battlefield 3 just a few weeks later, all of this followed by the Metal Gear Solid HD remake (aka, time to replay the whole series) I've actually decided not to pre-order Skyrim. It's the lowest on my excite list and there just isn't room for it anymore. No sense buying it at release price then letting it sit, maybe there'll be a Christmas sale for it despite having only been out for just over a month by then.

I'm excited to see how the reworked magic system ends up being, always loved messing around with the different branches of magic.

8. Juu

Juu Haters Gonna Hate [✓]

Never played morrowind/oblivion. But loved the fallouts. Will I enjoy skyrim? (I don't like the name, it sounds more like a sexual position than a game)

9. komm

komm What's a Dremel?

you just completely spoiled the game for me now all i can think about is what weird sexual position would have the name skyrim :eeek:

10. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Hehe yeah I'm surprised they chose that name too. As for whether you would like it, it depends, did you like Fallout 3? Because Oblivion was very very similar. A lot of reviews said that Fallout 3 was just "Oblivion with guns". In other words, Oblivion was a big open world, and you run around shooting stuff with a bow and arrow or magic, or smacking stuff with swords. You could find quests to do, and there was a main quest (which was very short and pretty dull imo). So it's basically the same game, just in a different flavour.

Personally I preferred Fallout 3 because although they are both the same, I thought the shooting was more fun than the fighting you did in Oblivion, so that made it a bit more enjoyable for me. Although neither are really my ideal kind of game. I want to try it though, they say everything is improved, so I want to see just how much.

Lastly, Morrowind is the same kind of game but a bit different. With that game they basically spent less on the graphics (Oblivion was stunning), and more on the gameplay. The result is that it was verging on ugly, but the plus side was that it was quite deep. There were a lot more quests and factions and more magic and stats and tradeskills and a bigger main quest etc.. It was a bit more RPG-ish, whereas Oblivion was a bit more action-gamey.

Having said all that, the best thing about both of them is that they are very moddable so you can tweak them quite a lot, and some of the mods drastically improve the experience. So for that reason alone I would recommend them to you - but really it's better to just wait for Skyrim.

Too many young eyes here to describe it :p But lets just say I think it would result in you being dizzy, with a bad taste in your mouth.

11. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I always thought a skyrim is having sex while free falling.

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The real question is why you like Fallout. Do you like the post-apocalyptic setting and story, or do you like the open world gameplay and character building system?

If you like the former, probably not. The Elder Scrolls are in a fantasy setting which has nothing to do with Fallout. However, the mechanics of the game are nearly identical. The way in which players choose their attributes and skills is almost identical, combat is almost identical but with more melee and magic rather than guns (and no VATS), and the structure of the world is the same with a free roam design full of quests and side stories for the player to follow.

TL;DR, it's worth a shot to at least try a TES game. If you're really worried about liking it consider buying Oblivion for $20 on Steam.

13. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

I'll certainly play Skyrim, but am mostly just looking forward to the improved engine to be there for Fallout 4. Nuclear post apocalyptic mutants are cooler than elves and dragons. But the Ogre vs SuperMutant isn't that big of a deal, dungeon vs Vault or whatever. The thing is that I actually get annoyed by random attacks in TES games because I'm often distracted by how pretty the worlds are. Leave me alone, I was watching the sunset! In Fallout I am walking around looking for a fight because I don't care that everything is brown. Thats one of the biggest difference between them to me. The other thing is the humor is fantastic in Fallout, unlike the mostly humorless TES since when it's funny it was usually unintentional.

14. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

Got an email from Amazon regarding my Skyrim order, thought Oh No, but then..

Hello,

As you've pre-ordered The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, we wanted to let you know that Bethesda, the game's manufacturer, have been in touch with us.

They've confirmed that all customers who pre-order The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim from Amazon.co.uk will receive a 'Premium Quality World Map' included in the game box.

For more information, visit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&docId=1000592243

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk Video Games Team

OK, not earth shattering, but all the same good to get something confirmed!

15. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I pre ordered ages ago on game gears for £26. Really looking forward to it. Hope its not a let down please dont be riddled with bugs......please.

16. Ljs

Ljs Modder

This is the game I have been most looking forward to this year with SW:TOR coming a close second.

Might have to pre-order although I haven't ever pre-ordered a game.

Hah, wishful thinking! It will definitely be full of bugs, but as long as they are not game breaking or the game doesn't crash constantly I will put up with it! Also, give you an excuse to have another play through 6-12 months down the line after all the modders have had time.

17. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

Maybe I was just very lucky, but I didn't find Oblivion to be that buggy at all when I played, and I think I had it before any patches had been released as well. Obviously there were things that needed changing, but these were improvements rather than problem fixes.

18. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Fully agree with the previous. I got oblivion very late after there had been lots of patches tho. Never had any problems with bugs or glitches. Chances of this going smoothly from preorder are slim ha.

19. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

True, true. I preordered on the 360 - will get the PC version once the mods start rolling like I did with Oblivion.

20. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

I'm excited for Skyrim but am not in a hurry to play it... Battlefield 3 is keeping me very busy for now. May grab a copy in the new year sales or something if there's a discount on it.