1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dead Island Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. DatenThielt

DatenThielt What's a Dremel?

"There are three crudely stereotypical characters from which to choose - a rapper, a Chun-Li analogue, a Texan and an ex-cop"

You mean 4 right :)

3. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Maybe the ex-cop isn't eating doughnuts and is therefore not a stereotype :p

It's a shame this game looks so, bland. Everyone who I know who plays it says it's fun, but watching game run throughs, and Mack and Mesh's run through, it looks a bit boring and repetitive. Not to mention like a console port on the PC. Coupled together the problems it's had on the PC platform with them releasing a developer build instead of the actual release.

Having said that I played Borderlands, and loved that. And that can be described as repetitive and had a couple of bugs on release too. Meh maybe i'll pick it up when it gets cheaper

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

My bad, fixed.

5. hurrakan

hurrakan What's a Dremel?

I think the PC version is slightly better ... but I'll just wait for the Dead Rising: Off the Record :)

6. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Wait for this to hit a steam sale! i do enjoy a zombie game!

7. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

It is a fun game.

It is a Mixture of the last alone in the dark and dead rising 2.

Looks like every HUGE open world game suffer from the same problem: repetitive kind of sidequests. It is like the major problem is also the major attraction. It happened with Far Cry 2. The game was really good, beautifull, nice interface and ideas... But it was VERY repetitive!

Don't expect much from Dead Island, but still it's really fun. Still my preferred zombie game is Left 4 Dead (the first one) and plants vs zombies :D

8. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

i couldn't see in the article which platform you reviewed the game on, was it the 360 as the link to the second page is titled?

9. t.y.wan

t.y.wan What's a Dremel?

The "animations" require quite a bit more work... If a player picks up a crate, and walk, you will see what I meant. The climbing animation? Looks really funky - -" The shadows are also horrible...
    Storyline? Seems none, if you ask me. Logic? Horrible... Driving? Crazy...
    HOWEVER! Playing "Co-Op" is really really funny, (Less looting would be even better...) people do things despite it ain't rational... Fun of coz.

10. FifteeeCal

FifteeeCal What's a Dremel?

Best way to describe Dead Island: First-person Dead Rising.

11. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I would have thought that made it obvious, but: Yes. I'm playing the PC version at the moment too, but my thoughts run mostly the same.

12. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Ok yeah I can see it clearly now!

13. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

this is goty for me so far on PC.

14. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I liked it.. it does get better from the start

it does get loopy though, you'll see what I mean when you reach the last boss.. it's like a little kids script.. let's throw common sense out the window.. think they were writing it for the console crowd cause they'll eat up anything

if you want to just blow through the game.. there's a file in the pak that let's you mod all the variables.. even xp multiplier, so you can be level 50 after killing one zombie if you wanted.. mod your speed, stamina, everything

I went through the game without cheating- there was some challenge.. magic wand mod is the best though.. it knocks them down even bosses- just put all points into crit

then jump on their head for one hit kills :rolleyes: did this with the last boss who you would think be immune to this cheese

also to improve the visuals look in the video.scr.. change the shader to 4 and you can smooth out the shadows there too

15. leibritz

leibritz What's a Dremel?

I play on PC and the controls are 100% better than in Dead Rising. The game is very enjoyable and the kills satisfying. It has a ton of bugs, but it somehow does not spoil the game for me. I am having fun every minute I play :)

16. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah you guys notice the level 3 chests are all junk? think opened them all- got one rare set of brass knuckles.. and even those were about 3 levels lower than the level I was at

best stuff was bought at the traders and they give you some really sweet stuff in prison for doing the side quests

17. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

Isn't the main difference between the characters are the skill Trees? Poor miss there.

18. Madmonkee

Madmonkee What's a Dremel?

truely gruesome, annoyed that damage taken doesnt scale with lvl. I am at lvl 41 now, zombies only have to hit you twice, once sometimes and you dead..... tad annoying. Dev weps are fun, but why can you not put them on better weapons!? whats that all about :D

19. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Lots of bugs in the PC game, disappearing radar in coop, Main mission bug ; where you can't swap to a side mission while in coop, your friends have to quit first then rejoin. An item stacking bug, where 10 items (medkit or alcohol) should fit in one inventory slot but gets split for some reason and takes up two slots.

The above shouldn't put you off though, the game plays like borderlands though ('iffy' graphics), lots of weapons and the ability to make customised weapons. If you liked Borderlands you will definitely like this game. Game is much easier in coop mode.

*I believe the ex-cop Purna is an 'alleged' woman. :)

Last edited: 19 Sep 2011
  20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Been playing it on PC & it's not the open world zombie game I was hoping for, combat is pretty good & like the focusing on body parts of it & the environments are good but it's lacking sooooooo much like it was rushed out, no day/night cycles neither, maybe the devs of the game might add some of what I was hoping for in a big patch but if not then maybe modders will but I won't hold my breath, £30 not well spent already recomended some to wait for sale unless they are mad keen to play it, just feels so repetitive & not very interesting.

Also it overheated my gtx 580 very badly because of no v-sync & something to do with the controls when on mouse & keys causes stutter lag, you can enable v-sync by modding the video settings file but you still get stutter lag so to sort the other probs there is a tool released by modders that fixes issues to get the game playing smooth, my gtx 580 was ramping up the fan speed so I run a log of the temps & it reached 90c in 5 minutes of playing so it's a potential gpu killer if you don't enable v-sync.

I agree with the 65% score.

Tags: Add Tags