1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Dual SSD's in Raid 0

Discussion in 'Software' started by Xaine, 26 Jan 2014.

1. Xaine

Xaine Death... destroyer of brain cells

Has anyone got any experience in this? or even whether it is possible to boot from a stripped raid?

Was just thinking, while a 500gb SSD would be great, how about 2x250gb SSD's in raid 0?

Using this as a main boot drive that you would only keep the OS and applications on, surely it would both boot faster (not really an issue due to it being near instant with ssd anyways) and read aplication files twice as fast making full use of the cpu and never having it held back via read speads.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

I did R0 on 2 x 120GB Samsung 840s for a server. Epic performance and TRIM still worked. Just have a backup just in case :)

3. Xaine

Excellent and yes I'm thinking of having a backup made onto a normal drive every week or so with game saves more often. Glad to hear it works :) thank you

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I ran 2 Corsair Force 3 120Gb ssd's in raid 0 and used it for, windows and games etc for a few months.

Eventually I went from the raid back to 1 drive for windows and the other for games because, it took longer to boot in to windows because of the raid screen on the initialization of the board.

Also games etc were still taking the same amount of time to boot and load and the only time I really noticed the extra speed was in benchmarks.

With the speed of ssd's at the moment I honestly don't see the point in putting them in raid just for windows and games.

5. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Had my ssds in RAID 0 for around 18 months now. Great performance and very stable with no issues at all. Does depend on the board and raid controller though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

6. Xaine

A case of real world vs benchmark.

Would it assist in encoding and applications such as Photoshop and 3d studio max?

Shouldn'tbe a problem the raid controller is onboard a Asus maximus VI hero

7. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Yes that will do very nicely. You will even be able to have TRIM enabled on when using the latest RST drivers.

Mine is on a asus sabertooth so im sure the hero will do a fine job.

8. Xaine

Sexcellent , cheers for the help :)