1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Will an SSD really make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by low money modder!, 9 Jun 2012.

1. low money modder!

low money modder! Why can I not set up a web server?

hello,
    I have been thinking of upgrading my Samsung N150 plus netbook with an SSD, what i want to know is, will it make a significant improvement with the speed of the netbok?

If yes could you please recommend me a few? I only need 30-60GB as all of my files are stored on my home server, It's just for the 32 bit OS (windows 7)

Thanks!

2. richythomas

richythomas Minimodder

In short yes an SSD is an incredible upgrade and one that I was sceptical about before buying my first. Now all of my machines have one.

The Samsung 830 64GB is pretty cheap and has better write performance than the popular M4 in its 64GB disguise:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-samsung-830-series-ssd-basic-kit-sata-iii-read-520mb-s-write-160mb-s

The Samsung 830 is also a good drive.

The M4 is more expensive but also popular:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/64gb-crucial-realssd-m4-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-mlc-flash-read-500mb-s-write-95mb-s-new-version

3. feathers

feathers Minimodder

My GF has an old laptop that came with vista. 1gb ram and a slow mech hard disk. It was lagging badly and unuseable even after wiping vista and installing 64-bit win 7.

I took out the hard disk and fitted my old OCZ Vertex 1 - 30gb. The laptop speeded up enormously... browsing the web, running programs etc. I've spoken to a number of people who don't have SSD's and are under the impression that all they do is make windows boot faster. Windows has a lot of files, commands, page file - shifting all that to SSD makes for an all round increase in performance. Especially with a portable computer.

I use an A-Data and a Kingston Hyper X... You will find the Crucial M4 is very well liked on Bit tech forum.

4. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool