1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Can I Go Solo With Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 27 May 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

That's the first thing I check with any burned disc. It's the most basic issue there is, and 99.9% of the time, it solves the problem. In fact, I've had it happen so many times with linux or Windows betas that I rarely burn ISOs faster than 2x. Sure, it takes a while but it's better than getting issues like you experienced. ;)

I've not tried Firewire with Windows 7 yet, though. Will give it a try and see what happens.

3. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

installing off a usb thumb stick is definately the way to do it imo
    dvd sucks :\

4. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I just mounted the image using Daemon. That's about as easy as it gets. Well, assuming you have an OS already installed somewhere.

5. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yup - the way forward is always to make an MD5 hash of the downloaded ISO (do a web search for the hash and hopefully it will match with those posted by others for the same file!) then burn the disc at its slowest, rip it to an ISO and hash it again. If the hash is the same (you'd be surprised how often this isn't the case...), you can pretty much guarantee you have a good disc.

6. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

What's the moral of the story? BURN OPERATING SYSTEM DISCS AND CRUCIAL DATA AT MINIMUM SPEED! God I don't know why people don't do it, my LG burner burns at 16x CD speed and only takes 5 minutes to burn and DVD's at 4x take about 10-15 minutes, that's not a long length of time. Anyway I'm interested in Winblows 7 for my games but tbh I won't use it till I get a DirectX11 card in about 2 years because I'd rather use 4770's in triple crossfire :p and Vista can go to hell, I couldn't care less about DirectX10 and nothing could get me to use vista in a lifetime so XP and Linux for me ^_^

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ISO itself when it comes to your primary installation problems. That kind of thing happens regardless of the file. Like everyone else has more or less said, just burn anything important as slow as you are willing.

As for Firewire, Photoshop and F@H though, I have no idea. Although I am unsure as to why you would be using firewire in the first place, the Photoshop and F@H issues seem to be rather big for someone with your interests.

Luckily, I installed 7 almost as it was released to public, and I have loved it so far. The new "superbar" is much better (after getting used to it), and everything just seems much more tuned. Clearly MS decided to actually listen to the customers.

All I really do is play games, browse the web and play music, and I have not had a single problem. I hope for your sake that the solutions to yours are quick and simple.

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Also, buying cheap CD-Rs is a bit of a false economy...

boiled_elephant likes this.
  9. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

What was different in the Vista interface compared to XP? The first thing I do on an install is stop the themes service and then even vista looks like win95, or as near as damnit...
    I assume Win7 is the same, not had the chance to test yet. anyway, it's still M$, I'll upgrade when SP1 comes out.

10. haddow64

haddow64 What's a Dremel?

Ive been using it for the last few weeks, and I have to say I'm impressed, I had forgotten that Microsoft can actually make good software. The only thing worrying me now is the price, really hope they don't overprice it and allow it to flop like Vista.

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

lol yeah that's why I burn with nero.. check verify the disc and it will go back over the data afterwards and give you a thumbs up or down

glad to hear you like windows 7.. apple will change your mind before the year is up :D

12. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Never had a problem burning an OS disc at maximum speed, must have been lucky.

I've been running Windows 7 for a while, currently running a vlited version of RC1 and haven't come across many problems. Photoshop CS4 is running perfectly for me, and all my programs install and run great. The only small glitch comes from having the taskbar at the top of my screen, it seems to have an extra half the taskbar width of 'aero' blurred effect below the taskbar again. It's a bit odd, as the beta copy of 7 handled the taskbar fine at the top of the screen.

I think Windows 7 should change peoples mind about windows aero, as people really have nothing to complain about. Unlike Vista, 7 is less recource hungly and feels snapier to use than any version of windows before. I still can't understand how people can still prefer the ugly out-dated look of windows 95/98/2000. I spend most of my time on a pc, in work and in my spare time, so I want something nice to look at.

Microsoft have come through well with Windows 7. Just a pitty Vista wasn't like this! Even the UAC works as it should!

13. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

That's odd, I have no issues with having the taskbar at the top.

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Me too, never ever had an issue burning at 16x and it was the fact the install worked but just asked me for some random driver that totally threw me that it could be anything to do with a dodgy burn! Nothing appeared not to work if you see what I mean. Still, lesson learned.

@ Skiddywinks - I'm using FireWire with an external Maxtor backup drive as I've found it outperforms USB2.

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

still test driving sp2 here on vista.. seems better than ever =] I might have to skip win 7 just because of the money end of things right now.. I wish I had a firewire backup- only one rig has firewire though :eyebrow:

I bet there was dust on that disc- I has a horsehair brush to dust them off before they go in

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This blog post seems to affirm my intentions of doing an XP 32bit/Win7 64bit dual boot setup. Most likely XP won't see much usage, but it's nice to have in case it's needed and with hard drives being so cheap these days I can hardly find an argument against doing that dual boot setup.

17. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

Have to say if you didn't like Vista I'm surprised you like 7, they're effectively the same (with a few tweaks!). Also, IIRC isn't Vista faster at network traffic than XP, especially if it's Vista-Vista or Server 2008 machines?

Also from a pure theoretical perspective, I think Vista's approach to use unused resources to accelerate the GUI or prefetch progarms was the right idea, but potentially implemented poorly due to the negative feedback it received (though I never had any bad experiences).

On windows 7 now and it just feels the same as vista really, its a bit more swish but no significant differences in speed that I can notice?

18. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That's what I do, too. Not had a problem yet.

19. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Superfetch was a great idea implemented poorly, agreed. Its real problem (or at least what irritated me about it the most) was the fact that it was a bit overzealous... as soon as Windows was loaded, it'd start thrashing my HDD to load stuff into RAM. In Windows 7, it seems a little more sedate... I don't get the mad flurry of disk activity I do in Vista.

20. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

In the real world, you rarely notice the difference. However FireWire does have advantages over USB2 - the first and most important is that your PC (and it's OS resources) controls the data transfer for USB2, but FireWire devices control the data transfer themselves. Subsequently, FireWire can achieve sustained high-speed transfers, whereas transfer speeds over USB2 will peak & trough (which you'd probably notice with a backup drive). As I mentioned this isn't a problem for most people, but it's critical in some applications; you try getting 24 simultaneous channels of 96kHz 24-bit audio over USB2 ;).

Back to the point, what impresses me most with Win7 is how much quicker it feels than Vista, even on slower hardware.

Tags: Add Tags