1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Disturbing Origin TOS

Discussion in 'General' started by Picarro, 25 Aug 2011.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Hi guys, one of my friends just made me aware of this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...5445873_18899998_10150366636870873#f3f0802358

Discuss

2. Matticus

Matticus ...

It is like EA are trying their hardest to put people off BF3. I am not too fussed about EA seeing what software I have installed, I assumed quite a few bits of software collect data like that anyway. I did hear that they would be able to see your internet history and if you have any dodgy downloads, that I would be the part that puts me off most, though I can't confirm that is true, and I am not going to read the TOS myself to find out.

3. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Holy c**p that's like the mother of all loopholes they've embedded.

Thats EA sticking their middle-finger up to the user big time.

4. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

To be honest it sounds like a rewording of the license agreement terms they've used for a while now. It's really not all that different to what you had to agree to if you installed and played BC2 online at any point.

It'd also seem that EA have updated their TOS since that story was released and while it doesn't remove the clause about collecting data it does reword it and expand on it slightly. Found it at http://eacom.s3.amazonaws.com/EULA_Origin_8.24.11.pdf

5. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

They've removed the part about passing the information on to Third-Parties, it does make much more sense written the new way.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I no longer buy or play EA games on principal. I got sick of them releasing buggy products that you had to patch 4 or 5 times in the 24 months after release, with 1GB+ patch files.

Do it right or don't bother at all. These new ToS don't really surprise me.

7. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Lol, I like how some people are a little nervous.

Ea don't want to know what pron you watch, it's just gaming statistics I bet Steam collects data as well.

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

It really doesn't sound very different to Valve's TOS so I don't know what the fuss is about.

9. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

While I think this fiasco is being blown slightly out of proportion, it doesn't help the fact that EA seem to be going out of their way to kill all my excitement for BF3 (which, at this point, I think I'm just going to skip - I have a massive backlog of games to play anyway).

Off the top of my head:
    • The pre-order/retailer exclusive gun pack nonsense (did any of that ever get clarified or remedied?)
    • Origin required ******** (Steam desperately needs good competition, but a first/second party digital distributor is not the solution)
    • The Steam mess (Until recently I worked at an unrelated publisher, while there I handled a couple Steam submissions, including the subsequent negotiations, and I'm pretty sure I know the exact two TOS sections EA are objecting to, and it's complete ******** on their behalf)
    • All of the childish EA CEO insults towards Activision/COD (someone remind them they're grown men making millions per year, not teenagers on Xbox live)

Oh, somewhat unrelated, but for good measure EA is no longer allowing sub-licenses of Porsche to other driving games (including Forza 4).

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel