1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education A matter of principle, Harv...

Discussion in 'General' started by Carrie, 5 Apr 2013.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Now we all know the rep system is meaningless but ... could a Mod please explain to me why you keep reducing Teelzebub's rep, specifically?

During your recent rep count reduction exercise and implementation of new levels/titles you reduced a number of individuals' rep counts. Fair enough - it's your prerogative, although you didn't actually do so to all excessively high rep count forum members (i.e. over X00,000).

On Wednesday you seem to have quietly repeated the process but limited it to only one forum member, as far as I can determine, namely Teelzebub. None of the other "rep circle" members have had theirs reduced.

You took away almost 3,000,000 points from Tel, actually which Yehbaby pointed out - the change in title brought it to his attention - yet didn't reduce Yehbaby's 3,000,000+ count, on either occasion -sorry yehbaby - or anyone else's that was back in the multiple hundreds of thousands. You know who they are, some of them post in rep groups.

Rep counts at those levels are admittedly mad, Tel is perfectly able to fight his own battles (and will probably be annoyed I've raised this), and as a Mod you can do what you want, but where's the unbiased, impartial justice in your actions, that's what I want to know?

Isn't that a prerequisite for a Mod, assuming they're not the forum owner or his best mate?

Feel free to remove my rep again, this time for speaking out and questioning your actions :)

Teelzebub, YEHBABY and G0UDG like this.
  2. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Really? Is this what people are bitching about now? Rep count is only visible to the user themselves, how narcissistic do you have to be to get hung up on something like that?

I don't see why we don't just get rid of the rep system altogether if it causes stupid childish arguments like this, it only gets abused anyway and the most helpful people on the forum seem to have hardly any rep at all.

Teelzebub, fuus and Booga like this.
  3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

+1

YEHBABY and fuus like this.
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I must admit that I do not pay attention to the Rep system and have no clue as to how its point system works. I don't tinker with it (can't think of a reason why, to be honest), and as far as I know neither do the other Mods. However I'm happy to investigate and find out what's going on.

Meanwhile I've dumped 3,000,000 points back on Teel's Rep level (I think --I'm still working out how it works).

Last edited: 5 Apr 2013
  5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I warned everyone that blatant rep-abusers would be subject to random rep reductions - on Wednesday I happened to notice that teel was back up to insane levels again and reduced his count.

What I should have done was go around and do that for everyone I could think of who might be in the same position, but didn't. I'm sorry.

fuus likes this.
  6. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

It's indicatively visible to everyone based on the title, except me cos I use my tablet now and the titles don't show.

That said, I agree they should do away with any sort of visible scoring. Nowt wrong with a non-post facility to allow someone to say a post is epic or thanking someone for help though :thumb:

But while it is there we should all be treated equally. As the title says, it's a matter of principle.

Thank you Nexxo

7. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Wow I've just finished what was a delicious steak and roast tats dinner and of course a huge cream cake just like the one you nibbled in your profile Nexxo lol and sat down to see this thread.

Right firstly a big thanks to you Carrie for the support I was going to treat the culprit with the contempt he deserves ( Yes we all know who did it ) I guess jealousy is a very strong emotion but I forgive you :D

Yes the rep system is a farce but it's not doing any harm to anyone so why waste so much time over it ? Oh and a thanks to Nexxo for putting things right again :thumb:

David, fuus, G0UDG and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nexxo

I'm pretty jealous of your cream cake right now... :blah:

9. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

agreed.
    Arguing over rep is pathetic.

10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I hope I've earned my rep over the years, it's not mega high but I like the cheesecake. :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

I've just noticed your location :hehe: Does Bindi know? Are you captive or just hiding. :lol:

YEHBABY and Teelzebub like this.
  12. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Mostly captive

Carrie likes this.
  13. Nexxo

Is there much PVC and chains involved? :p

14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I've got PTSD from it, please keep it quiet or he'll cut my wireless usage again..

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

A million times this. Pardon the rudeness, but why anyone has any ****s to give about this is beyond me. You need either a job or a hobby (or both) if you have time to whine about something as trivial as this. That's not a personal attack at you, Carrie, just a statement about the rep system in general.

*goes to User CP to check rep* :worried:

talladega, Shirty and Teelzebub like this.
  16. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

In my opinion.

Remove Rep.

Add a comment or thanks plugin to the forums. Allows someone to leave a comment for private viewing about help given. But no points added etc.

And the ability to thank a user who helped them visibly. I know that the Aria forum runs something along those lines.

17. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

:eyebrow:

WGAF? This isn't Reddit, let's not get all uptight about our imaginary internet points.

18. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Rep has to be subjective and therefore immeasurable, what one person may consider rep worthy another may not, so the scores can't even be compared...

19. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

TBH this thread has nothing to do with the rep system I quote

^^
    This is what it was about

20. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Apologies! Thought derail... Was just wondering about the point of it being audited if there's no benchmark.

YEHBABY likes this.